Problem with new rig!!!

combatc87

Baseband Member
**FIXED**Problem with new rig!!!

Okay, so I got it together. Now, I went to start it up, and it ran fine for a few seconds, and then shut itself off. The specs are here. I've gotta go to work now, but I'll be back in 5 hours to answer any questions.

EDIT: I've fixed the problem. I hadn't installed the heatsink/fan properly. The pins weren't all the way in, so the CPU wasn't making a tight connection, which cause the power down. It's running fine now (has been for about half an hour), and I'm half way through formatting my 160GB HD. Now it's time to relax. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, and I hope no one else makes this big of a newbie mistake.

It sounds like you PSU isnt powerful enough to run the rig...What wattage is it?

No. I think I have the problem figured out, now I need help with the solution. The case is an ATX case. The motherboard is an ATX board. Yet the mobo takes a 24-pin ATX1 main power plug, whereas the largest on the PSU is a 20-pin. Do I need a better PSU, or is there an adapter that I can buy, or is there something else I can do? I really don't want to have to get a new mobo or case.

EDIT: I just googled and found that there are adaptors, so I am gonna run out and pick one up tomorrow(it's 10:30 local) really early and get it working. This should solve the problem.

combatc87 said:
No. I think I have the problem figured out, now I need help with the solution. The case is an ATX case. The motherboard is an ATX board. Yet the mobo takes a 24-pin ATX1 main power plug, whereas the largest on the PSU is a 20-pin. Do I need a better PSU, or is there an adapter that I can buy, or is there something else I can do? I really don't want to have to get a new mobo or case.

EDIT: I just googled and found that there are adaptors, so I am gonna run out and pick one up tomorrow(it's 10:30 local) really early and get it working. This should solve the problem.

It should indeed solve the problem UNLESS you blew your 5v rail like I did when I overdrew on a 24 requirement with a 20pin ATX connector... I hope that didn't happen...

That should work fine..
As he said, lets hope it doesn't blow anything!

Although, you probally could get it cheaper at NewEgg.. so check that. ;)

Okay, thanks for reassuring me. Bahawolf, I'd order it from NewEgg, but I don't want to wait another day or two just to get it. I'm gonna run out this morning and see if I can find one, otherwise I'm gonna overnight it from NewEgg or something.

I don't think anything blew because everything powered still ran fine, and there were not any bleeps, sweeps, or creeps (anyone get that?). So, here's to hoping.

The 5volt rail controls the PCI controller and PCIe controller if it applies on the southbridge as well as the RAM. If it gets blown... EVERYTHING gets blown. BTW, if your 5v rail blows, you WONT KNOW until it is too late... I just hope you are luckier then I was about 2 weeks ago...

Back
Top Bottom