Difference?

theprodigy8964

Baseband Member
Ok. I have some questions about my system.

Here's the setup.

Compaq Presario 5000
Compaq mobo
350 psu
Amd athlon 750mhz
256 megs ram
Nvidia Vanta LT

If I upgrade to 1 gig of ram and get a new vid card, would I notice much of a difference in speed and performance?

ram upgrade does a whole lot... im not familiar with your video card, but i never heard of it but it may help with gaming and possibly just normal usage.

From 256 to 512 you'll notice the most, and get that video card(Vanta is a Jurasic onboard), but be sure if you have Agp or Pci...

The comment about Vanta is not suggesting you to get a Vanta...
and read slowly, you haven't posted if it is Agp or Pci...

You will notice a real big increase in the Ram upgrade.

becarfull when you upgrade your video.. You will want to check to see how much video graphics your motherboard can handle..

Example: If you upgrade you Vcard to 128 and your MB can only handle 64.. Well you just wasted your money.. It will only use 64.

vanta lt...

It's a nvidia riva tnt2 in drag. It's a 32meg or less sdram memory video card. It works fine with a p1 or 2 but starts to faulter on p3's and p4's. reguardless check the specs on that system for the fastest the agp slot will go. As it stands with that card if it's agp the slot most likely won't go past 2x. eVGA.com makes a good little card. The MX400 will go as slow as 1x all the way up to 4x. And the slot voltage is automaticly sensed. $30.00USD.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,57667,tk,pr082101x,00.asp

Is it a p2 or a celeron?

I don't even think his motherboard will be able to support 1 gig of RAM. Just build a whole new system, and don't waste any money on the machine you have right now. Because what matters more than RAM is your CPU, and now AMD's cpu's are about 5x faster than what you have right now, so just save up for a new rig. CPU matters most and you have one that is way out of date.

Back
Top Bottom