Computer not starting

Methost said:
Do many people actually do this? I know you should, but who does? I have an expensive UPS/surge protector with a nice gurantee attached to it, so I guess I just assume that it can take a little blast.

Surge protectors only work once, after a surge they are useless, and they don't tell you when they have had a surge.

I wont be the cpu mate, i think that the mobo has fried like everyone else has said, because it will still boot if there is no harddrive but not into an os or anything.

Hope this helps :p

Ok, guys definitely when it was raining he didn't turn off his computer, that's why some water went to the mother board, obviously his motherboard fried lol.

Thats not actually funny i think its a waste of a post and sarcasm is not needed. Its silly doing stuff like this.

Ok children, cool your jets... that is enough of that...

There are 3 things that could be the matter, and possible solutions to each of them:

1). The CMOS could have been surged and corrupted or erased. This can be cured by resetting the CMOS. You need to turn of the PC first. Then disconnect the power cord. Then locate the small (VERY SMALL) button on the motherboard near the BIOS flash chip or the system battery. With the power on the PC off, hit that button ONCE. Then restart and pray. If that button isnt there, do all the steps upto the button part, but instead, remove the system battery, then hold the power button down for 30-45secs, then put the system battery back in and turn it back on.

2). The surge damaged the Powersupply and blew the 5v/3.3v/12v rail(s), meaning a new PSU is needed. This could have also damaged the REST of the PC, meaning new parts are going to be needed for the nessecary repairs.

3). The surge could have initiated the sheet protection on the RAM, which will need to be released. To release it, unplug the PC, hold down the power button for 30-45 secs, and then take out your RAM. Put the RAM back in, then hold the power button for 10secs again. Then reset the CMOS, and restart and hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom