Hard drive inquires

Shutle

Baseband Member
Hi, I pasted my inquires first, the story of how I came up with them is after.

Q1Does the motherboard also program itself to WinXp or WinMe just like the hardive does?

Q2Can removing a hard drive or inserting a slave hard drive disrupt the motherbosrd and cause errors when I try to reinsert my primary hardrive?

Q3Can I swap Master hardives with Me or xp installed and have them both work imeadiately without reinstalation of windows on my hardrive?

Q4 Will setting my primary harddrive as master while leaving the jumper at slave disrupt my hardrive and render it faulty even if I reinstall it correctly as master?

I recently found myself adding hard drives as slaves in order to discover what was on them. I have several hardrives now and did a lot of swaping to see what was on them. Let me explain. I aquired a pc that runs Me and my orriginal pc runs Xp. The first wierd thing that happened was when I took the Me hardrive and set it to slave on my Xp. I can't remember what happened but I know when I took the slave back off, my computer screen read OS not found on any devices when I reinserted my primary hardrive.

Second wierd thing was the way I fixed it. I used another hard drive and tried intalling windows Xp but after formating and reboot it would just ask me to format again. I ended up installing Me on a hardrive, when that worked I took it out inserted my primary hard drive with xp and it worked. ?

Q2: If I have two hard drives, and want to move the slave from one computer to another one, is best to have XP...
In W98 and ME you can have trouble with the system not recognizing the setup...

Let me get this straight, If I have a hardrive set to master with windows xp on it,in my computer, and decide to switch it with another hardive accept with Me on it it wont work? -Should this work

and if this doesnt work wouldn't that mean that my motherboard is programed for the os.

it depends if ME was installed on this comp. Because with huge hardware changes they often won't work for fear you just popped it into your buddies comp without laying down any cash.

Well I change dmy pc from Me to Xp and I think that will help, allowing me to swap hardrives freely.

Back
Top Bottom