Need help with server.

Osak

Daemon Poster
Ok im running a Counter strike 1.6 server on a:
AMD 3200+
512ram
ati 9600xt 128mb

Im having a problem with lag and im 90% sure its not my connect, i have dsl. So i was thinking it was my system does anyone know if this system is able to run a server (only thing im gonna run on it is the server)?? Also does anyone have any tweaks for the Halflife dedicated server console?

More RAM would more than likely fix the lag. also defrag your HDD, do a virus scan, do a spy/adware scan.

Well i know its not spyware or virus's (i scan often) im not sure what my speed is could you give me a link to a speed test sight?

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

What most people dont relize there connection is a big part of serving..

Example I have a 5 meg line. but my upload is 128k.. Big problems..

Just to rule out the 10%
Go here:
http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
Wait for the speedtest to finish and see what your upload speed along with your down speed and see if thats what your getting.

whats the upload and download your "suppose" to get.

I havent used the PC Pitstop before. But never run just one speed test.. It will vary over time and servers you test.. Do a couple of tests from each location and see if they are compairable.

DSL has LOUSY upload speeds, which makes a server line almost IMPOSSIBLE. Cable broadband... now that can run a server fairly ok.. but really, T3 and OC45 are what are needed for a high performance server. Also, another 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt that server either, since servers thrive off more RAM.

Ok well my download speed is: 1.14 :(
and upload is: 46.3 :(
Well i guess ill just have to run my server off my box at my moms house (Cable). So me having 512ram isnt a big deal when running a server because this is kind of an older computer that i dont want to put money into thats what my gaming rig is for lol.

Osak said:
Ok well my download speed is: 1.14 :(
and upload is: 46.3 :(
Well i guess ill just have to run my server off my box at my moms house (Cable). So me having 512ram isnt a big deal when running a server because this is kind of an older computer that i dont want to put money into thats what my gaming rig is for lol.

Whoa.... wait... that isn't DSL, unless it is like SUPER PITIFUL DSL.... that is unbelieveable... WTF... that is worse then DIALUP for the most part! Did you set the test for the right type of DSL?? Are those speeds in kbps?

Back
Top Bottom