Do I need a fast processor for graphic design and 3d modeling

Neither are too intensive. One main thing you will need is a good sized hard drive to store all the files. If you are only doing modeling and light skinning, you don't need a huge rig. Now, if you are doing lots of scene rendering, then yes you will.

MAC Mini, HELL NO.. MACs are good, but the MAC Mini uses a specialized 32MB ATi graphics card which is lousy...

What you need to get is an ATi FireGL card or an nVidia Quadro card... and don't get a P4, get a dual core AMD 4200+! LMAO, no, in this case for the budget, well maybe... but I would actually go with a Hyperthreaded 90nm Prescott based 6xx series P4.

Yeah, these are right. Pentium 4 would be the best system for it, and the faster the CPU, the faster rendering would be if you export an animation since this doesn't use the video card hardly.
The video card only matters when in the viewports (doesn't use much CPU)

I actually could test this. I had a Nvidia Geforce 2 mx400 and replaced it with a Radeon 9800 Pro I have now, and had it on same system for a while and no improvement in speed of rendering was given from the difference in speed of Video card. Though as soon as I changed the CPU, the speeds tripled if not quadroupled in rendering.

I hope this helps :)

Kage said:
Yeah, these are right. Pentium 4 would be the best system for it, and the faster the CPU, the faster rendering would be if you export an animation since this doesn't use the video card hardly.
The video card only matters when in the viewports (doesn't use much CPU)

I actually could test this. I had a Nvidia Geforce 2 mx400 and replaced it with a Radeon 9800 Pro I have now, and had it on same system for a while and no improvement in speed of rendering was given from the difference in speed of Video card. Though as soon as I changed the CPU, the speeds tripled if not quadroupled in rendering.

I hope this helps :)

Partly right, but Quadro and FireGL cards differ from standard cards in their rendering engine. Graphics in games are prebuilt code, in which the card simply follow the polygon directives and texture codes to create an image. Quadro and FireGL cards actually CREATE a code instead of just using it, they literally RENDER an image whereas a standard silicon wafered GPU displays an image.

Honestly, the P4 Hyperthreading and the Quaddro or FireGLs "on the fly rendering" will make any program that involves coding for an image easy and fast.

For your budget I would also recommend a P4. If you have the cash I highly recommend you get an OpenGL accelerator like a FireGl, Quadro, or a Matrox workstation card (they used to be good atleast, haven't used one in a while). These are specifically made and optimized for content creation.

you definately need a good pc, I'm using my desktop which is 2.8 ghz P4 (ish, can't remember the exact specs) 256mb RAM and a GeForce 2 graphics card. But it keeps on crashing on Flash, so I do that on my lappy. I wouldn't even bother trying 3D programs, like maya and 3D Studio Max! :(

What the heck? Flash wouldl run on that or at least should.... I mean flash runs on the colleges old PC's (just about) and they are Pentium 3's at 1.0ghz with 128mb of RAM (rubbish I know)

yeah, it'll run, but its slow and frequently crashes to the point where I lose all my work, its not worth the wasted time etc. etc. you might as well get a good comp for it

Hmm weird...you have double the speed of my colleges slow ones... though yea, you have to run quality on low to get smooth playback...and takes ages to render out a small flash movie too.

I agree about the video card thing in a way,though it really isn't the video card that does anything (though most of the effects only the CPU could do before could be done easily with video cards now...so maybe its time they switch to video card rendering! :p)

Back
Top Bottom