Enabling net send on XP home network

thecoolkid

Baseband Member
How do you enable net send in XP Home edition? Is it even possible? I run a three computer network (each with XP Home, btw) in which I own one computer and my roomate owns the other two. Is it possible to send him messages through net send? If not, is there any other program that I can use to do so?

thecoolkidontheblock

yes, it is possible,,

net send relies on the messenger service being statred, so you'll need to make sure it's started, and then use it in the same way you normally would.

re:reply

I tried that but all it came back with was "the message alias could not be found on the network." I already ran the "net view" command and it shows all three computers on the list. Do I need to start the Alerter service also?

thecoolkidontheblock

Im not running windows so I can't tell you exactly, but you need to go into the services section and look for the "messenger" service and enable it,starting in XP SP2, that service is disabled by default. I think you right click on my computer and click manage or something...just take a look in there you can't miss it. If you have the service started and your sure of it, then I would say your problem is that you either have the syntax wrong and/or the machines name. Just to be sure that net send is running, try to send a message to 127.0.0.1

How to enable messenger service

Go to Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Services

Right click on messenger

Choose Start

Right click on messenger again

Choose Properties

Change startup type to Automatic (or Manual if you don't want it to start at startup)

Back
Top Bottom