Help me figure out this network thing

qazxswed345

Baseband Member
ok i bought a linksys wireless g router with 4 ports and was trying to set up a network but a question arose is it possible to access a wired network with a wireless connection

Feedback Appriciated,
ricky

You'd have to buy a wireless bridge or access point.. But now your just spending money,.,

When did you buy the router? Perhaps you can return it and buy a different one with the wireless and the ports.

no you misunderstood i have t he ports and all that it is a router with 4 ports and a wireless transmitter i just need to know if you can get a wireless laptop on the same network as a computer using a hard wire connection

hmmmmm .... I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to go with an absolutely positive YES. I might be burned in effigy but I'll risk it. :) You'll have to have all your computers join the same workgroup and configure any third party firewall software.

okk thank you but i dont really know how to do any of this if someone could give me some steps to do this it would be really appriciated

OK..

You have a Wired/Wireless 4 port router? If so..
You can get internet to the wired computer, and your laptop with the wireless.

Now you want to share files as well.. Not a problem. All you will have to do is enable file/folder sharing, and put both computers on the same workgroup.

Assuming you have Windows XP.
Go to your control panel. Double click on "Network Setup Wizard"

It will ask you a series of question. When you get to the workgroup name, enter one.. Run the same wizard on the laptop. Enter the same workgroup name..

Yes this is possible as above but i am sure that its best to wire the computer sharing the internet to the router and then have any other computers on wireless, Surely this will make sense?

Back
Top Bottom