Random Shutdown

I'll tell ya, once I think i've figured SOMETHING out, i'm right back where I started. Both sticks of RAM ran fine which is somewhat mind boggling to say the least. I just decided to go ahead and place both sticks back in, but not in dual channel this time. Don't know why running it Dual Channel would make it screw up, but hey, I can't think of anything else. I guess i'm also going to go ahead and buy a new video card. Nothing fancy, just something better than the one i'm currently running on (I think a saltine cracker would run games better if I could fit it in the agp slot). I guess i'll be snoopin' around eBay for some good deals now, so once I get something i'll post back.

Don't think i've forgotten to keep you guys posted! I went ahead and got a newer video card like I had planned on. Nothing too special. Ever since I switched the memory to run single channel instead of dual, there were no shutdowns though. I don't know why that would change anything but it seemed to work.

Weird... I wonder why that is...

I mean, the RAM wouldn't have switched at all if it didn't support dual channel in the first place.

Are you overclocking? or are without knowing? (maybe an easy overclock motherboard, like my ABIT)

No, I don't overclock at all. To be honest I don't know enough about overclocking to try. I'd probably fry something right off the bat.

Yeah, I havent really messed with it either to tell the truth...but I just don't have good enough cooling (a neccessity)

So...hmm... I have no answer to your question what so ever I'm afraid :(...whatever it is, it must be the RAM chip in some way or your motherboard not liking to switch to it (I suggest RAM) and so i'm afraid your missing out, like spending a bit more to get dual channel and you can't even use it :(

Check in your motherboard manual...some motherboards are very tetchy about what RAM chips go in where when in Dual Channel, so its good to check first.

Any chance you can replace the RAM to see if this is the problem if the above doesn't work?

Well, the first thing I did was check my motherboard manual to see exactly how it liked to run dual channel, which slot was the master slot..stuff like that, and I had everything exactly how it should be. So, i'm at a loss too, but oh well. As long as this thing runs halfway stable, i'll be happy.

Yeah, glad it works.

I would try and replace the RAM though. See what this does for it. If it still goes pairshaped, you'd know it is the motherboard going funny on you.

I could try that, but i'd like to run it as-is and see how it goes now. As I stated previously, my budget is tight so throwing money around to pin-point this problem is out of the question. As much as i'd like to figure out what was causing it, it's just gonna have to wait for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom