making my computer faster?

maanico1

In Runtime
i dont really no much about computers so is there any way for me to make windows xp run faster (startup, shutdown, making programs come up as soon as i click it) withouth having to lower any screen quality? 2.8 ghz, 512 mb

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>Startup. Check what you want to run, uncheck what you don't. Anything that is C:\WINDOWS should remain checked. Anything else, like C:\Program Files.. You can do whatever you want with. You can usually tell what the program is too, in it's name.

Try defragging first, running spyware and virus scans, and deleting software you don't use.

thanks....i did all the defragging and i do the virus and spy/adware pretty regularly, the startup thing seems cool... any other suggestions

i was thinking about that.... so that would be a huge difference maker huh... how do i do that msconfig for shutting down the computer (sorry, big noob)

You use the msconfig for making the bootup faster, how it does that is it will let you select what programs you want to start up when windows starts up (less programs start faster it boots) how you get to msconfig is go to start>run>type in "msconfig"> and then go to startup tab and uncheck anything you dont need to start up when windows boots.

yea i know its like u just said, i think there was just a misunderstanding, i was asking about the ram and the shut down

Back
Top Bottom