Limewire

The US Supreme Court has ruled unanimously against the free-wheeling ways of P2P software makers Grokster and StreamCast in a decision that will have many of the most vocal open technology advocates up in arms.

The ruling means that developers of P2P software can be held liable for their users' actions and that the software makers must work to prevent the distribution of copyrighted material. Two lower courts had already ruled that P2P software showed enough non-infringing uses for it to be protected under the well-known 1984 Sony ruling that permitted the sale of the VCR. The Supreme Court, however, disagreed with the lower courts, saying that they took too broad an interpretation on Sony and that the P2P firms made little to no effort to curb illegal file-trading.

"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," Justice David H. Souter wrote.

This decision sends the case back to a lower court where judges will revisit the request of the movie and music companies - represented by MGM - to declare P2P software makers liable for their users' copyright violations.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/27/p2p_goes_down/

This will now have a flow on effect around the world, two ISP's in Australia have been taken to court for users running Bit Torrent hubs...

wiktorek01 said:
I have a whole plan if the CIA or FBI knock on my door :p
I would run up to my computer, rip out my hdd and plug in my old one, and hide it...hehehe.

lol, If that happens, I'd just rip out my hdd and stamp on it, then burn it with my dad's welder before putting it through a shredder and hiding the remains under my bed. How I'd do that between the FBI knocking on the door and them getting suspicious, I don't know

yeah, I have downloaded a bit, a few tracks, nuthin big, but I mainly buy CD's of my favorite bands that deserve my support and those that aren't that well known and need all the help they can get

The stuff that I download is illegal and I know that, but gosh, finding a 1980's or 90's album over Canada is impossible. That's why I use it. But still, P2P networking is illegal. The program's legal, but if they catch all the P2P networks, we all going to be into trouble. That's why I only use it for stuff I can't find.

Ps2 GaMeR said:
its me cobra plz someone tell david or unban my account

1. Completely off topic

2. If you were banned, it's because you did something wrong. Don't say what you did cuz I'm not interested

3. My advice, Read rules carefully. I did that thing and I learned my lesson. I know look at rules. (even for the signature:rolleyes:)

yellowsnowman said:
I thought only sharing files was illegal, not downloading them.

It is illiegal to download as well of course, though the people being thrown into court and such are the people sharing as they can check for this more easily than someone downloading, and so they become more a part of the illegal process which is why they aim for them, though it is illegal to do both.

Back
Top Bottom