How to get wireless broadband

Andym206

Beta member
hi,
i recently got a new laptop which came with an MSI Wireless 11b card model CB1152. I went out and bought a linksys home wireless-G router. I have ntl broadband by the way. I connected my router to my ntl cable modem through the ethernet port but can't get my wireless connection to work. Could you please tell me if these are compatible products adn if there is anything else i need. Whatever the answer could you also tell me how to get it all to work so i can get wireless internet around the house.
Thanks.

What type of ethernt cable have you used ie crossover or straight through. You need a straight through ethernet cat5 type. Can you also ping the router, should be on 192.168.0.1 or soemthing similar.

Then get back to me

ta

Andym206,

Did your router come with instructions on how to connect to the router to configure it? You've got to connect to your router via ethernet cable and your computer/laptop. Use an internet browser and type in the address bar the default address of the router ... probably 192.168.1.1 or something similar. After that, follow the instructions on how to enable wireless.

Your wireless card should be fine, 802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b, which is what your card is.

If you've already done the configurations to enable the wireless ability of the router, then it sounds like you need to configure your laptop to connect. In device manager, does it show that the wireless card is enabled and functioning correctly? No red X in it? Is it set to automatically obtain an ip address? Does your router require a WEP key in order to connect to it? ...

Your problem/question is very general & has lots of variables. Somehow we need to get you to narrow down the things you've done already and get to where the problem lies.

hi,
my router on came witha cd-rom but when i put it in it says tht it can't find the wirless connection. as for typing in the address for the router it wont work it just says this page cannot be displayed. i haven't done any configurations to anything so any advice on how to do so would be nice. it doesn't have a red cross in it and i don't think tht my router needs a WEP key to connect.
please help
thanks

here's what you do, connect the router to your computer via the supplied ethernet cable, then connect your broadband modem to the router. insert the cdrom and run it. it will auto-detect your internet settings and set it all up for you. once you get that all completed then you can go wireless. you have to do this first before you can go wireless.

hey,
it still isn't working. i connect all the cables but it still says tht it can't detect the router.

Not Sure but see if you can reset the Router back to factory default. From there connect your ethernet cable from your laptop to the router. you then should be able to connect to it with a default address of most likly 192.168.0.1 from there you should be able to configure it.

Hope that helps

b00e said:
Not Sure but see if you can reset the Router back to factory default. From there connect your ethernet cable from your laptop to the router. you then should be able to connect to it with a default address of most likly 192.168.0.1 from there you should be able to configure it.

Hope that helps

192.168.1.1 is the default address

Back
Top Bottom