Can't figure it out man.

UNCLEMIKE1

Baseband Member
I just bought a WD 160gb hard drive to replace the WD 10gb hard drive I have in a USB enclosure. The problem is windows will recognize the drive in the Hardware/Device manager section but won't show as a drive in My Computer. The 10gb shows up fine though. Huh, I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old drive = Western Digital Protege WD100 10gb Enhanced IDE drive

New drive = Western Digital Caviar WD1600 160gb Enhanced IDE drive

No. I left the jumper set to "Cable Select" just like the 10gb was. Thats why I'm saying I can't figure it out. I'll try slave and let you know how I made out. Thanks for the reply.

Do you still have an HD in running the CPU or is this the primary one? If it's the primary, it has to be set to master.

windows only notices partitions. if the new hard drive isnt partitioned, windows wont see it.

nuke said:
goto disk management , active the drive.. give a partition or file system..
Can you give me a step by step to getting the disk management screen up? Thanks

in XP (category view) Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Managment. In the left column, select Disk Management. In the right pane you will see the 160gb with probably a black bar under it ... this means it hasn't been formatted, which I think is the problem here.

CrossCech said:
in XP (category view) Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Managment. In the left column, select Disk Management. In the right pane you will see the 160gb with probably a black bar under it ... this means it hasn't been formatted, which I think is the problem here.
Yup, that is on the money. What do I do to format?

right click on the drive (in the area with the black bar). Format should be one of the options in the right-click menu. Just read the dialog box instructions carefully & follow the steps ... you can format the entire 160 gb or break it off into pieces. Depends on what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom