Break it in?

definately personal preference (i dont think it does anything but some people are like that lol)

The only break in is that you must install your OS before trying to overclok the cpu...

BuzzStPoint said:
All on user preference..

Also the note about "Breaking in a car engine" Thats all hogwash..

I work on cars as a hobby. You know how we broke in an engine? Start it up.. let the gaskets seal. Tune it up.. Then Hammer on it. see what it's got..
Take a look at NHRA, After every race they tear the engine down, rebuild it.. No breakins there.

That's what you are supposed to do to break in an engine. Run it to let the gaskets seal, then vary the engine speeds to make sure it's lubed up and everything sets together. NHRA may break down the engine each race, but they replace the parts that would be damage if not properly broken in. Also, they run at a much different compression ratio than normal cars, so they are different.

lol never hurd of breakin a processor in lol when i get a new one I MAKE IT WORK!!!!! lol.... it does have a warranty...lol

combatc87 said:
That's what you are supposed to do to break in an engine. Run it to let the gaskets seal, then vary the engine speeds to make sure it's lubed up and everything sets together. NHRA may break down the engine each race, but they replace the parts that would be damage if not properly broken in. Also, they run at a much different compression ratio than normal cars, so they are different.

An engine is an engine. No matter whats it's built for..
As for running it to let the seals seat,, that only if you use cheap gaskets. Total engine seal kit for about 40 bucks> that takes about 10 minutes of running. Buy a real good set.. 100 bucks.. takes about 3 minutes.

Tell you what.. take your engine from the factory, baby and do the common break in for your 500-5000 miles.

I'll take an engine and tear it down. rebuild it. Using stock parts. Once I fire it up. and the head gaskets set. I beat the heck out of it.. I'll garentee you after the 5000 miles my engine will out perform yours.

So what do you call break in? beating the heck out of it? Seeing what it's got? Or simple and slow and easy going.. In my experience, Cars and computers, "Break In" is talk for people who what to sound good to people that dont know anything about them.

I built my computer back when PIII 800mhz processors where new.. I ran that cpu up untill last year when I upgraded.. No break in on that cpu. fired it up. installed the OS and used it.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't like to get something new and beat the ever-loving crap out of it until I know for sure it's working and what it's capable of.

Oh, and on the car thing, maybe an engine can handle immediate abuse, but can the clutch?

well...

Well let me clear up what I said.
Modern cpu's get hotter than their brethern of 5 or 10 years ago. Proper cooling is hypercriticule. What I was refering to is not a take it easy on the cpu chip itself but the install of the heatsink to cpu joining. If you have too little or too much thermal grease you can impeed the transfer of the heat from the cpu to the heatsink. After putting the system together, just power it up and go to the bios. Park your derrier on the temp screen and go find some thing else to do for about 10 or 15 mins. Come back and check the idle temps on the screen. If running ok then load the os and proceed to enjoy your new toy. But if the temps are too high right from the gate, this would indicate a cooling problem. Some thing that the builder could take care of right then instead of blindly going on to load the os and find out the hard way later that it's running way too hot.
Kinda like the old FRAM ad. You can pay me now or pay me later. As he's holding up an old oil filter and the car blows up. My way of looking at it is like this>
You can be just a little cautious from the begining or you can buy a new cpu chip later...

Yeah when i get a new computer i'm madly in love with it from the beginning none of that. Screw it over from the start stuff.

Back
Top Bottom