Low disc space caution anoying

Shutle

Baseband Member
HI, for my Windows Xp I have 2 hard drives and one of them is the reason for the low disk space warnings I get every time I use my pc. How can I get rid of that without deleting files of the disc.
Theres also the automatic windows updates that I dont care for and cannot cancel even when checking my computer properties.

Welll...

First things first. A low space warning means you have 15% or less of drive space left. Defrag won't run in that little of room. Try this first.
www.ccleaner.com
Turn on all the features and keep running it till it finds nothing. You're going to be surprised at what it finds. It found like 90megs on mine first time out.
Ok next right click on the drive icon and look in the lower right corner. Click on the disk cleanup button. When the box opens up to show you a list check everything and tell it to go ahead. This might take a while if you have not used it before. Do this on all drives.
After all this do a defrag of all drives.
This should get you some elbow room. But I would either look into backing up some files to cd/dvd or getting a third drive and shuffling around some files.
Post back if you need more help.

Do as setisshock said get ccleaner and run that, you have to clean out the temp folders and the browser cache. Then start backing up your important stuff to cd. Once you have done that delete them of the hard drive. The other thing you can do is get an external hard drive to keep some of your stuff as well.

You can't have your cake and eat it matie.

i know you can change that warning next time it pops up right click on it and see if you can change at how many megabytes it shows up at.

yeah, though do try CCleaner liek Setishock says, as its a great program for getting rid of unwanted junk programs and browsers alike store up...

Though becareful if you click on MSN Messenger (as I did, and it wiped my font I use so I had to set it up again, and just petty settings like that...), so any programs, you know you want to keep the settings for (ones that are stored in cookies and other external files) then, don't click these to be cleaned. Not many should have a problem with it though.

I did get back 80meg though in doing it! :p

Thanks for the advice. I decided to transfer some of the files to my primary hardrive. The cleaning problem wasn't necessary in my case but I did try it. It's pretty heavy duty and I'm worried I might unintentionally erase important files.

Back
Top Bottom