Building a cheap custom computer.

SirVal

In Runtime
Hey,
I'm building a custom computer to last me playing a couple of mmorpg's for about a year so it doesn't have to be anything fancy, These are the components I've got lined up and it reaches £450 w/ operating system.

Proccessor: AMD ATHLON XP3000+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 SATA Raid

PSU: 500w ATX Power Supply

Memory: 2x OCZ Premier 512MB DDR400 PC3200

Hdd: Maxtor 6Y080M0 Plus 9 80Gb Serial ATA 7200rpm

Graphics card: XFX GEFORCE 6600 PCI-E 256MB DUAL DVI *Passive Cooling*

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

looks good for a year..but why only a year spend a lil more but get a little better. You can always upgrade. But for a year it's fine.

All I can see is maybe try and get a 10,000 rpm HDD. And like rdcmmnst, whatever that stands for, I wouldn't worry about "spending a little extra" now. I built a computer back in 5th grade. I am still using that computer, just here and there I upgrade what I want. Now, It has nothing that it did back then, not even the same case, but it's saved a lot of money upgrading part by part, instead of a whole system at a time. Oh, and I'm going to be a freshmen, so 5th grade for me was 4 years ago.

Yes, I started early:p

Yeah, I would get an amd 64. The xp's are a little out of date. A 10,000 rpm hd is nice but man, $$$ (or £££). btw, marxsoccer, same! I built a custom comp (with a little help) when I had just turned 12, with my friend's dad. I learned a lot, but I don't use the comp anymore. lol... it was getting too old. I now have a very nice comp but unfortunately I was too lazy to build it myself... lol. but, as for the comp. that you are building, SirVal, it looks good, but a better cpu (any amd 64) would be better, in the long espeically, because the dual-core's just came out and to upgrade any amd 64 system, you just have to buy the dual core chip and do a little bios upgrading, unlike pent. where you have to buy a new mobo along with the chip and where with the xp you have to buy a new chip and mobo. So yeah. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated, i will consider an amd 64 proccessor when it comes to buying, it may appear obvious im on a bit of a budget for this one though so i want to keep it down.

Wise words, Congrats all you've convinced me to wait a while longer so i'll be spending more, £200 more infact :) I'll keep you updated if anyones interested.
Thanks alot everybody for the help, im new to this board and i know i'll be coming back soon!

Back
Top Bottom