No internet connection but good DHCP

bjp02

Beta member
I am working a compter for a friend and I cant figure out whats wrong. I have the system hooked up to my router which is connected to my Comcast cable modem. The computer recieves all the proper parameters from the router (ip, subnet,dns addresses etc.) and I can ping the router, all the computers on my network and some addresses. When I try to visit any sites, I get the DNS error screen. I know my cable service works because I am on it through my laptop.

Some things I have already tried: I tried installing new a nic card. I used Adaware, Spybot, and Spysweeper (all updated). I used a registry fix utility and WinSockFixXp. Ive tried to access websites using both internet explorer and firefox. Ive tried starting the computer in safe mode with networking.

Any and all ideas as to what this might be would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion but like I said, everything is configured correctly and I know for a fact that the hardware works.

What I am finding most strange is that I can ping my router but when I type the routers IP into internet explorer or firefox, I can't access the router configuration page as I am supposed to. I can access it from my laptop just fine. It seems as though the browsers cannot communicate with the hardware.

you might be able to ping your router, but can you ping the dns server or ip address given by your ISP for your cable modem? Perhaps your router doesn't have the correct information within it to point to the gateway (your modem). The default gateway that your pc's should have is the router ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.1) but the router's default gateway is the ip address your isp gave you.

CrossCech said:
you might be able to ping your router, but can you ping the dns server or ip address given by your ISP for your cable modem? Perhaps your router doesn't have the correct information within it to point to the gateway (your modem). The default gateway that your pc's should have is the router ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.1) but the router's default gateway is the ip address your isp gave you.

Amen brotha!

thanks shouup! welcome to the Computer Church of CrossCech ... otherwise known as the Triple C ... or is it Quadruple C?

Glory Hallelujah!!

Back
Top Bottom