XP problems.

theprodigy8964

Baseband Member
Ok. I got XP two days ago, and did a complete new install. I DID NOT choose to keep my old files. Yet, today I go into C:/ and I find all of my old files. But, when I go to add/remove programs, they aren't there. It is as if windows doesn't 'see' them. Also, if I go to my documents through the start menu, there aren't any of my old files in there. BUT, if I go through C:/ to my documents, there they are.

What happened?

You did a clean install in which it deletes the windows folder only.

Other stuff are still kept, but as for your documents, programs, etc, Windows can't see them because the required registry keys aren't there

I've sorted it through msn :)

He did a setup through windows without restarting so it didn't format the drive. Plus he has a D drive which has backup from compaq which could have ran and only installed XP on top of the data it just backed up.

So hes trying to do a full re-install as we speak.

The point is that every disk has at least one partition. You may think an unpartitioned disk has no partions, but it has one.
So, the first thing to do is to delete that partion, and then format the harddrive, then install...understood...no...then read again...

Yes, I have completely worked it out now. Kage and myself have discovered I am a complete bumbling idiot, and he types like a baboon. ;) :p

I deleted that other partition because it only had evil compaq stuff on it, and I have completely installed XP with no problems.

Thanks for your responses. :)

Back
Top Bottom