RAM question

JJ88

Solid State Member
Hi, all. I am looking to upgrade my PC in the next couple months (e.g., new video card, PSU, RAM). I am, however, a noob/newb/whatever with computer stuff. I read in some places you can switch dual-channel RAM to single-channel, but I don't know what that is. I'm a casual gamer and I would like to upgrade my HP Pavilion a810n from 512 MB PC3200 RAM to 1.5 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141423 I'm looking at this RAM. I have no idea what brand the memory in my system is now. Will this dual-channel RAM work with a different brand of RAM and what's in this PC of mine right now? This is sort of embarrassing not knowing much about computers and asking questions like this. I hope I came to the right place, though. Thanks in advance. I'll be checking back, of course lol.

download everest home edition (google it) it will give you information about your computer. You can then give us the specs and we can help you.. ;-). But don't worry we all have to learn somehwere (i'm still learning tons myself). You will have to make sure the ram you buy is compatible and if your mobo can hold that much ram.

Kage i so beat you to that. haha. What if he/she doesn't want it in english...haha. Ok nevermind.

EDIT
I'm just plaing with you kage don't worry about it. I'm never seriously making fun of anyone. I hope you all know that by now.

hehe... I just thought it'd post the link :) I'm not knocking your post out, look ^

Thanks for the replies. I'm a male, btw lol. I downloaded that EVEREST program, and thanks for the advice and link to download it. I'm done thankin' people hehe. OK, so how can I post a picture of what the EVEREST thing gave me? I'll type the first few rows of the info it gave:

Module Name: Hyundai (car manufacturer? lol) HYMD264 646D8J-D43
Serial Number: 1C1C803h
Module Size: 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type: Unbuffered
Memory Type: DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed: PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Bit: 64 bit
Module Voltage: SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method: None
Refresh Rate: Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Manufacturer:

Company Name-Hynix Semiconductor Inc.

Well, I hope this is enough information. I also checked my processor and it says it's an AMD Sempron. WHAT THE?!?! lol It says on the PC sticker and on every site with this HP Pavilion a810n that this is an AMD A64 3300+. It's still operating at 2.4 GHz, though. I noticed, however, a 3500+ and a 3400+ only run at 2.2 GHz. Please, let me know if you need any more info. Thanks.

EDIT: The motherboard is an Asus K8S-LA with only two DDR DIMM slots. Does this mean that if I want to add 1 GB of RAM to my system that I have to buy a 1 GB stick? Does that make a difference in performance as opposed to 2x512 MB? Also, which RAM would you recommend for better gaming? Thanks again.

okay, for your info, they dont make Athlon 64 3300+. The 3300+ is Sempron only. If you open up your computer, is the 1 X 512 or 2 X 256 and why do you want 1.5 GB of RAM. 1 GB is more than enough. If i were you, i would buy another stick of 512 of the same make and type and dual channel them. The difference between dual channel and single channel is that dual channel is like a 8-lane freeway while single channel is a 4-lane freeway. You get double the bandwidth and that prevents bottlenecks in your RAM.

So, I got ripped off for this PC? We were gonna buy a PC built as a gaming computer, but the guy came back on his deal. It says on these stickers here that this is an AMD Athlon 3300+ 64 bit or whatever processor. This is really a Sempron? What's the difference between the 64 and Sempron? I'm pretty upset if this isn't an Athlon 64. I'm thinking of taking it back to Office Depot and demanding my money back lol.

EDIT: The Sempron doesn't even have 64 bit support.

I'm confused. I've been researching about this processor. I found this one forum where one person had a question about his HP: http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t47586.html

I will quote OC DETECTIVE on this.

He/she states, "The Compaq/HP 3300+ A64 is actually a 3400+ Newcastle but with only 256KB of L2 cache. However it should be 2.4Ghz not 1.8Ghz.
As you say it is running at 1.8Ghz I suspect what you have is a 512Kb L2 cache version of the socket 754 Sempron 3100+ (1.8Ghz) or more likely the 939 version of the Sempron 3100+ with 256Kb of L2 cache but dual channel. If you could download WCPUID and run it for us we could easily tell you which one it was and if it is not running at its intended frequency (if it was the A64). Could also be an XP-M but then it would have to be a laptop not a pc."

So, what's the difference between this and a 3200+? It still says this is a Sempron in EVEREST, and I know that's totally different from an Athlon 64 -- at least, I think it is. lol Oh yeah, thanks for your reply, ownage.

Back
Top Bottom