Various problems: DVD Player; Active X; Virus; Please help!

danicd88

Beta member
This is sort of a long story. First off, I can't get any updates from microsoft. The page says:

"Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started."

So when I go to do that, it doesn't bring up a list of services. Rather, it tells me that my security settings prohibit the use of Active-X, or something like that. I had this problem a while back and completely forgot about it. Before, I went through IE and changed all my settings to always allow Active-X, because I was having similar issues with my new HP printer. I can't use the scan button on the printer/scanner/copier. I have to actually open up the program, because of that Active-X junk. I'm probably lacking some important updates because it won't let me update!

So now on to my next problem. My DVD drive hasn't been working properly. It has been working fine up until recently, but the other day, I popped in a DVD and Power DVD told me something about my TV Out card not working properly. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD, and that did nothing except change the message to "An internal error has occured". Then I tried installing interactual DVD, which came with the movie, and that did nothing at all. I tried playing the movie in BS Player, and that does no help. I tried Win Media, and it plays for about 20 seconds before it tells me that an error has occured and it needs to close.

Thennnnnnn....... I decided that since I couldn't fix the damn problem, I'd try downloading a new DVD player, at which point, I acquired a virus. AVG says it's called Java/OpenStream. It can't remove the virus. I located the file and deleted it, but the other file is no where to be found (I can see hidden files, mind you).

Sooooooo..... I would sure like to know how to get rid of this virus. AVG did nothing; I've been running Adaware every 5 minutse, and it comes up with 8 new adwares each time. I ran Spybot and got rid of what it found. I'm running Housecall now. I don't know what else to run. My poor computer is tired! And so am I, and I rented another DVD and have to return it tomorrow, and would like to watch it tonight! So please help me if you can. My computer and I would greatly appreciate it!

....I sure hope there's still some people awake out there in cyberspace!

yeah don't worry about the java open stream it's just what comes with your java runtime. I have it too. And have you tried allowing windows to update automatically maybe like going to start>all programs>accesories>system tools>security center>the make your automatic updates right at the time you are on right now then it should update itself. And about the dvd player try going to my computer right click hit properties the hardware tab the device manager and go to your dvd drive and update by right clicking and hit update. If that doesn't work uninstall the driver reboot and windows should (if you're using xp) should recognize the driver then install it fresh. I hope this helps.

Another thing if the driver still doesn't work go to the manufacter's website and see if you can download a driver from there.

Back
Top Bottom