Ok now I'm really miffed...

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Ok not I'm really pived...

My spybot is giving me an socket error, my xp is stuck in classic mode and now I'm miffed.
Ok so one thing at a time. I can't get back to xp theme mode as the command for it is gone. No I haven't been playing in the reg. I know better. Any ideas?
Next what is up with the socket error. >11004< I googled it and whoa momma that's zooming over my head. Any ideas?
Can the two be related as some twit in my system besides the loose nut between the chair and the keyboard?

XP home sp1
P4 2.6 non HT
512megs of pc3200 CL 2.5
2 Samsung spinpoint 80's 80gigs@7200rpm 2MB cache
1 Maxtor Diamondmax 80gig@7200rpm 8MB cache
1 MadDog Media mx4000 plus video card in 8x mode
1 C-Media CMI8738/C3DX pci card
1 Zoom 56k fax/voice/data modem
I Belkin ATA133 Promise raid pci card in non raid mode
MSI 7008 ver 1.x PT880 LSR mother board

No joy...

I think I'm just gonna go a repair. I'm so burned out you wanna refresh my memory how?

Re: No joy...

setishock said:
I think I'm just gonna go a repair. I'm so burned out you wanna refresh my memory how?

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Reinstall or repair Windows XP

To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:

1. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation media.

2. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.

3. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

4. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

Repair Win XP link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Windows Update: http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

and you really need to get SP2 installed. It has fixes to prevent someof the stuff you are experincing. All you need to do is make sure all your driver files are up to date.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

That is where you can order the disc free of charge from M$ and you won't be stuck because of your dial-up. It will take a few weeks to get it..I got mine in 10 days. The thing is that you do not have to install SP1 first. just slip this guy in after a reformat/reinstall or a repair and you are up to date...

And if you need it.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

Back
Top Bottom