Free Converters?

karling07

Daemon Poster
I have been looking around for so long but can't sem to find one! Does ANYONE here know of a free video converter than can convert WMV to (really anything is fine - like AVI, MPG, etc etc)? All the ones I've tried have watermarks or time limits. I would really appreciate any ideas or links.

Basically just a free converter without limitations that ruin the output.

Thanks so much!

I haven't found anything like that either i've looked. Let me guess you made a movie in windows movie maker and you want to be able to view it on a dvd player..? That happened to me too. It's a pain. So i got premeire.

Hmmm...

.wmv will play on most modern dvd players. It's fast becoming a popular format to have so dvd player makers are adding it to the list of playable disc's. My Mintec plays all my .wmv files just fine.

But if your player won't you can run the file through Nero and convert it.

Yeah, you got it right :) I'm using Fx MPEG Writer which works great but the audio is shifted so it comes in about 1 second after the video. Sounds messed up and looks like bad dubbing :p

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hmm, could it by any chance be that the frames per second rating is slightly out from the original video?

to find out the orignials right click the file and go to Properties. Then go to the Summary tab, and here, it should display the frames per second. Press the Advanced button if nothing is listed.

I hope this helps :)

on the topic of playing avi files, is avi a bigger file format than that of mpeg, wmv and so on when it comes to compressing the same thing.

as for converting stuff... free ones usually need to be registered... now cracking or free serials are illegal so d o n o t do that! its not nice at all.

Don't think of AVI files as a format. Think of it as a box that all formated files can be shipped in. AVI acts like a shrinker and shrinks files down to a smaller package for easier transporting across the web. That is why when you drive to burn AVI files they always come out a lot larger than what they should.

Back
Top Bottom