Fps

Sniperwolf

Solid State Member
Upgrading

I am going to the shop I got my "gaming" computer made at (120g HD, GeForce 5200, 512m RAM, AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.8gHz Processer, more of a foundation than an actual gaming computer) and I have $260 I am willing to spend on it and I wanted to get some peoples opinions on what I should upgrade because none of my friends know anything about Computers. So what is your guys take on what I should upgrade (prolly the processer right?) and keep in mind I only have $260.

P.S. (I was gonna ask about the FPS of my PC but decided to ask this instead so thats why the thread is called FPS)

Right, well yes, a faster processor would be great, but you'd have to look at the max processor the motherboard can handle first (should allow for a bit of a faster one), and if you wanted anything faster, I'm afraid you'd have to change that as well :(

As for the Video card, this would have to be an essential upgrade as that card wouldn't even pass as a real gaming card (very budget) and so a nice Geforce 6600GT would do you very nicely indeed (AGP, which you'll have so just replace the card)

A good processor can come under $100 (i'm english, but I think this is about right) and the 6600GT would cost around $200 so this would probably be the problem area, but you want a gaming machine and so this is the lowest I would choose to play games at high speed.

Do you know what I would do?
I'd keep that processor for the minute, and update the graphics card to the 6600GT (a good gaming card) and then see how things go.
If you then want a bit more speed (dont know how much a newer processor would help), you'd just have to save up for a new processor (shouldn't be that much more), though I think the processor you have will suffice for the moment to tell the truth, and so it is the graphics card which is the problem :)

Though look at your motherboard detials and tell us whats the max bus or CPU it could work with.

I hope this helps :)

I agree with Kage ... your processor is adequate for now. I'd go with the video card upgrade if the $260 needs to be spent asap. And with the extra money ... buy another stick of 512mb.

If you can hold out, I'd suggest saving your money and work towards upgrading motherboard, cpu and video card. You've got more than enough for the video card ($150-$175 on newegg.com). Another $200 -$300 and you'd probably have enough to go with a socket 939 board and cpu. However, at this point you'd want to go with a PCI-E video card, same pricing though.

Just a thought, save for what you REALLY want, not the quick fix you can get today.

Yeah, I agree with that too :) Though if you have to now, a 6600GT will keep you going for quite a bit, especially since you've been so used to the 5200 :D

No problems :)
I'm sorry about that 99nashnoob guy by the way, he won't be coming back here.

Okay, well we'l be here when you need anything else :D

Man kage seems like you've made some enemies well you make some you lose some. Listen to these guys they have you set on a course for the future.

Get the best you can afford. I bought my current computer 4 years ago, and it's still running strong (P4 1.7 @ 2.26, 512 RAM, 80GB HD, GeForce 4 4200 Ti 128mb). I can still play all the current games (Unreal 2k4, Half-Life 2, Empire Earth II) at respectable detail levels. I have to upgrade now because the 4200 is practically an antique. I tried to run the Battlefield 2 Demo, and found that my card is unsupported. Mind you, that's 4 years of going strong before mainstream technology advanced beyond my rig. The more you spend, the longer it will last.

Well I have been cut down to only $200 dollars to spend now :( but I'm still gonna go for the 6600GT witch should be under $200, But I need help with another problem now and I dont wanna make a New Thread so I'll just use this one. It has to do with my games, I just installed my new 120g HD like 3 days ago, I installed all my games and virus protection and stuff on it, everthing went very smoothly, then I wanted to play some games, so I went to Call of Duty, updated it, made sure it was the latest version, and when I try to play it, it gives me the error you get when you try to play a game and you dont have the right disc in or no disc at all in the drive. This is the case with my CNC Generals, Zero Hour, and Battlefield 1942. ALL of my games I own are actual copies, I have never attempted to rip cds or anything of that nature. And I know it is not my cd drive because I have installed and re-installed all these games time after time to try to root out the problem and still no solution, I am begining to think that a no cd crack is gonna be my only solution, but even them I have never used. Please help me ,lol, I'm stumped

Back
Top Bottom