HP PC will not boot

blacktop89

Baseband Member
Hello all. I'm working on a HP Pavilion a475c. The person I got it from said it did a "hard crash"(whatever that means!). Basically the PC will turn on, but nothing happens after that...not even POST. There's no video feed to the monitor either. Here is what I have done so far.

1) checked all connections to make sure everything is secure.
2) connected another power supply to the PC.
3) unplugged both cd-drives and the floppy drive and then tried to boot.
4) tried a different video card.
5) connected hard drive to my PC. My PC detects the hard drive and I can browse all files on the hard drive.

None of these things worked.

I leaning towards a motherboard issue right now. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bert

Basically a Hard Crash would be a complete crash, so something has gone in the hardware :(

Its going to be the motherboard I'm afraid yeah, but are you sure the power button works? Does it spin up or anything?

Other than that, i'd assume the motherboard is the culprit i'm afraid, though at worst it could be the CPU, though i'd suggest you'd get something if just this wasn't working.

Yeah, I could hear the hard drive spin up. And yes, the power button works(hard drive spins, cpu, case, and psu fan all spin).

I don't guess there is anyway to test to see if it's the motherboard or processor is there?

A knackered motherboard would ensure that the system got no further than turning on.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Some are suggesing the CPU. I'm hoping to get it narrowed down to one or the either.

I've ruled out memory problems. I put the memory in my PC and it booted just fine.

I am almost sure that this baby has a Recovery Partition.
Try pressing F10 or F11 at start to see if it goes to the recovery and you can fix the OS (XP is the only flavor for this one)...

Yeah, I noticed the Recovery Partition when I connected the hard drive to my own PC. However, once you press the power button on the HP, you get no response from it at all.

Have you switched out the CMOS battery yet? If that battery is good then you got a bad board. Only a few things will cause that and you have already done everything to illiminate the others..Last 2 options, CMOS battery or mobo.

Back
Top Bottom