Is a Spark in the PSU Normal? (Blown PSU)

Guess what...I don't even have to buy another one...I called Tiger Direct, and their sending me out a new one tomorrow, no questions asked...That made my day. Now I'm just hoping that the PSU didn't wreak havoc on the mobo. I can only hope and pray...
Derek

The only prob. is I bought it from a diff. place...
Also, What are the chances of my Processor, HDD, CD Drives, Vid. Card, and Memory being fried? (If the spark did by chance make it to the mobo) I have This PSU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876412&CatId=1079
Supposedly it has all this: Short Circuit Protection
In-rush Current Protection
Thermal Overload Protection
Hopefully that protected the rest of my comp.

Derek

Be VERY careful about opening power supplies it can be very dangerous. Since the parts inside are not "user servicable" The capacitors inside the powersupply can retain hundreds of volt of electricity at a very dangerous current. They can retain this voltage for weeks. Unless you're good with circuitry, have a circuit diagram for the inside, and know how to release this voltage safely opening the power supply is a bad idea. It's not just your warrantee on the line.... it's being electricuted :) *sadistic*

Oh, by the way, I did open it, and the fuse was fine. Thanks aaron, i didn't realize that power could be stored in there for that long...
Derek

:) Looking's fine usually, just don't touch the wrong thing, and if you don't know what the wrong thing is don't touch at all. In a tech class last year when we did alot of circuits etc, our teacher demoed opening up a power supply and he realeased the voltage from a capacitor by tossing a mini screw driver and having it hit the right things while wearing a huge glove. Gigantic spark.

That would be pretty crazy...I guess I won't throw screwdrivers at capacitors any more...! Just kiddin'.

Derek

Chances of your CPU, HD's Vid card being blown are slim.. Usally yout PSU will take the hit. If it passes on the Motherboard will snap.... But I havent seen it go past that...

Well I did a few times, but that was on Lightning striking the home.

Well that's good to hear...Hopefully that built-in shock protection helped.

Thanks a lot everyone,
Derek

Back
Top Bottom