New Comp.

AMDathlon

Solid State Member
Building new Comp. Please tell me what you think of the specs. and if you have any suggestions.

Video - XFX PVT40AUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X

Proc. - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 754 Processor

Memory - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory

HD - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JB 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

MB - ABIT KV8 Pro Socket 754 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard

THANKS!

Welcome, and a great choice of computer there mate :D

One thing to change though (only a little niggle), the processor.
Not the chip itself though because the 3000+ is great and very overclockable (if thats what you wanted to do with it), but the type of processor it is is an old manufacturers type of build.

I'd try and get that same processor in the new Venice core (won't cost that much extra) which has a few advancements over the Winchester before it, which was a build after the Newcastle you have chosen that uses 90nm manufacturer to make the chip run cooler.

Doesn't matter if you don't want to though, but might mean a cooler pc and better memory enhancements, and you'd have to change the motherboard since the Venice core is a 939 pin and not a 754 pin like the one you have chosen.

The 754 socket of that motherboard and processor you see that you have chosen will make it very hard to change processors in the future since 939 is now the standard for new ones, so if you ever wanted to upgrade, you'd end up having to change the motherboard again anyway, so why not do it now? :p

So if you can, get the 3000+ in the Venice core, and step that motherboard up to a 939, and this shouldn't be hard to find with the same specs as the one you have chosen.

I hope this helps! :)

THANKS! I'm just now getting into computers so some of this stuff is kinda iffy :(

Now I'm deciding between a...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor.

OR

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor
(Budget issues)

Thanks for the advice!

No problems :)

Well if its to keep budget, go for the 3000+ (Venice), and if you learn about overclocking later on, you could overclock way past what the 3200+ is capable of anyway (basically, forcing the processor to work harder, and if your careful, you can get alot out of doing it without any damage if its kept cool), and the Venice chip will be easier to do this to too :D

Remember though, a new motherboard is in order, yeah? One that supports the 939 pin.

I hope this helps :)

No, I know it wouldn't give much of a performance boost, but it would help for cooling (if later wanted to overclock it) and would be easier to update the processor in the future to a faster model with 939.

I do agree that its best to get PCI Express, yeah, so get a 939 pin with that, and is just another type of video card connection that again will mean you can update to a faster card in the future sicne it has become the faster standard now for all the faster video cards out there which AGP soon will not be able to support and so would be too slow of a connection. (You might notice that PCI-E models don't contain AGP, though this is normal and you wouldn't need AGP after getting PCI-E anyway, though you won't be able to get a AGP card and so :

Video - XFX PVT40AUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X -

That would have to be changed to a PCI-E model and it will be worth it in the long run, and shouldn't push prices that far up to get a motherboard with that as alot of competition is going on with manufactuers making them.

I hope this helps :)

RAIDMAX 668WBP Black Aluminum Gaming Case Computer Case 420W Power Supply

ABIT AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y120P0 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Better? Does everything look compatible?

THANKS!

Thats more like it! :D and yes, everythings compatable :)

Plus your RAM and motherboard supports Dual Channel, so expect faster RAM speeds also! :p

Good luck on the building of it! :D Will be a great machine!!!

Pretty nice? Though I guess it doesn't have 2gb of your memory, and a 3500+ processor, but that can be changed with an overclock once AMDathlon's learnt how and wants to, and I doubt much difference would seriously be noticed with that extra gig of ram, and processor :p

haha, I'm only joking, but that computer is more than pretty nice. It beats mine because of the video card...

Back
Top Bottom