No FireWire?

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey everybody,
I just got all my parts to build my computer yesterday. My case has a front Firewire port, so I went to plug it into the Mobo, but there was no firewire connection on the motherboard. I would have thought all motherboards had FireWire capabilities. My motherboard is an ASUS P5GP1. FYI, I saw a little square on the motherboard that didn't have any male connectors, but it did say IEEE1394_2 under the square. I think that's really weird if I can't connect Firewire. Any help?
Thanks a lot,
Derek

Hey, Welcome to the forums.

hmm yea, IEEE stands for firewire, though it must be the connecting end of your one on the case that is wrong, and i'd have no idea i'm afraid to fix that :( It should be one of those thin type of connectors used to connect the power leds, and so on to the motherboard that should be on the end of that connection...

I was going to say to buy a PCI firewire card to give you access to firewire, though this would connect to the back of the computer, and so wouldn't be able to use the one on the front... though this would be a fast way of getting it to work.

I hope this helps

Shop carefully...

Don't hold me to this but I think Belkin makes a firewire card that has a header on the card for case connections. But take the time to check some other brands. I'm sure somebodys pci card has a connection header.
EDIT: The part number you gave is not a valid number. The closest one to it is the P5GPL. If this is your mobo then it doesn't have on board firewire support. Looks like a pci card is the only other option you have.

OH YEAH
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I dind't no that you could, but if you can, thats great. I guess this would then still go into a PCI slot and the one from the case would connect to it, as well as probably leaving some USB connections, and maybe another Firewire connection to at the back of the PC.

I hope this helps :)

Yeah that seems kewl.

One that were trying to look for though is one that will have one connection possible to connect to the connection on the front of the case which would also have some at the back, like USB for example. So the one on the front won't go to no use.

Yeah, no problems :) I'm sure there are some cards that do what Setishock said since the header to connect to the motherbaord isn't the same, so might be one that has to fit on a firewire card.

Thanks for the help...I've got an all new problem now...Blown PSU. I'll put up a new post.

Thanks again for the firewire deal,
Derek

No problems :)...I'm sure people will be ready for that question...What the heck did you do? :p

Back
Top Bottom