A Question

hey, 512mb of memory isn't bad at all... and if you want games to work faster, it might be your graphics card giving you that problem, and memory wouldn't help with it. What Video card is it?

Making the system run faster though is the RAM's job and so might give it a boost, but may I suggest buying just 1GB? You'd get a significant boost from this, and would be good to try before opting for the extra gig which you might not even notice a speed difference with :)
Plus, it'd be cheaper to start off with, okay?

Trust me though when I say 1gb would be plenty :)

If you play alot of games and your video card is not good enough, i'd advise to get a new one too since its true when I say RAM wouldn't help that much for slowdown in games.

I've got a Radeon 9600 series, which i think is fine. I think i will just get a 1 gb stick, and see what sorta' processor i can get myself to make it faster. Recommend me any for around the £100 mark?

Yep, that Radeon card should be fine for playing games at around Medium quality settings, and yes, 1gb is probably the best soloution for you, at least for the moment.

Yep, i'll look for processors for you. I'll try going for the highest which it can support, and then narrowing down until I get one at the price range:

PROCESSORS:

Heres the best one available for your system (The AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (just as good as a Pentium 4 at 3.0GHZ and so excellent :D):

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=2749&GroupID=34

This is a great online place by the way, and have very competitive prices. Deliveries are also on time every time too if you order before 5pm.

This processor costs £80.99, not bad huh? and so within your budget :)

A slightly slower one but cheaper is available from here too (The AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (the equivilent of a Pentium 4 at 2.8Ghz):

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=2747&GroupID=34

This one costs around £60 and so again, way within your budget, and only £10 more than that extra 1gb of memory would have cost you.

Any of these two are a great purchase, and so its completly up to you. Both are also compatable with your motherboard and will speed the system up considerably from what you have now, and also games :D

I hope this helps! :)

Wow, yeah, i'll be getting that then, thanks alot.

You've been a great help, cheers.

No probs :) It should just be a simple swap, though if you have Windows XP, it probably won't work after you boot up (too big a change for it) and so you'll have to back up everything first (DVD, external drive), then insert the new CPU and re-install windows to get it to work again, though after backing up and changing the processor, try to load into Windows to see what happens before you decide to start again.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom