psu problems

Peanutter

Solid State Member
Hello all, I'm having some problems finding a psu for my system.

As it stands I have 2x160gb sata drives, 2xInno 3D Nvidia 6800GT, 2x1gb ram, cd/dvd writers floppy etc and a Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard with 2x Xeon processors.
I've contacted Supermicro and they say I have to connect all three of the power connectors on the board which means I need a 4pin, 8pin and 24pin adapter. They suggested one of their psu's but when I started asking what other connector it has I got this response

"Are you talking about the SLI bridge adapter for the PCI Express video card? If yes then the Power Supply is doesn't have the adapter for the PCI express video card. Normally the SLI adapter complaint, the adapter is come with video card or purchase separate."
Phew glad we got that one cleared up.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to a psu minimum rating 500w.

Cheers

Hmm, for that system a minimum rating of 500watts is probably about right as you are running two hard drives, 2 powerful graphics card linked, and running on a dual CPU system.

No doubt this is powerful though to run anything you want :p

Youi are right in looking for a suitable one though, as getting any old one can damage your system in the long run.
Look for ones for example for an SLI based system which will power two graphics cards, and two CPU's. These should be explained in the descriptions of the PSU as they have to mantain solid output when the computer is on to not mess any hardware up, and so, needs to be able to take a rather good beating :p

Plus, look for some good makes of PSU with those features. I'm sure some people here will be able to help you with that :)
Though ones with that description are bound to be good (not sure if they need a certificate of some sort or sticker to certify) and probably aren't the really cheap ones.

They are very simple to set up though, and if you get one with that description, or something along those lines, your destined to get enough power cables to suffice your needs :)

Good luck searching :)

The main problem I'm having is finding a psu with a 4,8 and 24 pin connector, I've already tried a 650W Silverstone ST65ZF-GM SLi Dual PCI-E SuperQuiet EPS12v ATX12v v2.01 PSU and a 600W Enermax Noisetaker SLi EG701AX-VE(W)-SFMA (20+4) SLi PCI-E READY aPFC Quiet.
The Sliverstone didn't even power the system and the Enermax blew after about 2hours use, these puppies weren't cheap either so I'm just stuck on wht to try next.

Right that's added to my favorites.
Recommended approx 480watts taking into account the second graphics card.

Would be a nice board if it ever worked, had everything built and ready to go for about 6 weeks now, just need some power, might just hook it up to the nearest pylon.

I looked at a picture of the board and all that I could see about the plugs that they were mentioning is the 4 prong fan monitoring plug...the 24 prong ATX power plug and a midi plug for additional power to the board. Me, I would hook it up with out the SLI card and and get it operational first. then add the second vid card....Less chances for incompatability issues. The less stuff installed the better for initial start and installation of the OS and Drivers

As far as I understand ;The 8 pin powers CPU #2 and memory and the 4 pin powers CPU #1. The 12 volt lines on the 24 pin connector is logic voltage and fans.
Your right though start with the barebones and work your way up.

That sounds reasonable, I haven't looked that close into it and I was eyeballing a very unclear picture of the board. and I guess I mistook the 8 pin for a molex connector. any way...good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom