Vid Card Problem

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Vid Card Problem - Monitor shuts down

Ok actually i don't know if it is the video card thats doing it but its the logical problem. Whenever I run a game, it will randomly just shut down the monitor. The computer continues to run just the monitor goes off. I have no idea what would be causing this.

Here's my computer specs:
AMD 3500+
ASUS AN8-SLI Deluxe mobo
XFX 6600GT GPU
Corsair TwinX DIMMs 1GB
Western Digital 160GB HD

If anyone knows what the problem could be please help me out! I just built this computer(which is actually my first) so I suppose there's bound to be certain problems, i just don't know how to fix this one.

If the monitor goes into save power mode or whatever, try to take the VGA/DVI chord out and switch it around and put it in nice and tight between the two. Also make sure there isn't any PCI device that's blocking the air ventalation for the GPU. Hope this helps.

I checked all that and it appears to be fine. Nothing is blocking the fan for the GPU and the temperature seems normal.

Did you switch around the VGA/DVI chord like I said? Like littery unplugging both sides and than switching them around, also try to install the latest drivers.

Does it shut off like all the power go out? Or does it just go into stand by? Have you checked your power cord and the settings on the monitor itself?

control panel>power options and make sure the power scheme is set to "always on" and that standby is set to "never" then on the hibernation tab make sure it is unchecked to disengage hibernating
let us know if that helps.
If not post back with the game that you are playing

BanChan said:
Did you switch around the VGA/DVI chord like I said? Like littery unplugging both sides and than switching them around, also try to install the latest drivers.
Yes I tried that and it doesn't seem to change anything. I installed all the latest drivers and still have problems.

rdcmmnst said:
Does it shut off like all the power go out? Or does it just go into stand by? Have you checked your power cord and the settings on the monitor itself?
It would be the same if a person had unplugged the VGA cord but left the monitor power cord plugged in. It only seems to do it though when I play this game.

lurkswithin said:
If not post back with the game that you are playing
The game I am playing is called Global Operations, its like some old game that my windows 98 computer would run fine. I don't have any of the newer games out so I just installed this one to see if the vid card was at least working. The game worked the first time I tried it without the monitor shutting off but now it seems to do it right away as soon as gameplay actually starts.

I don't know why now, but another problem has come up. I'm on another computer right now because when I just turned on the one that I'm have the graphics card problems I can't do anything because I get this message "Invalid access to memory location" on absolutely every application I try to open. This is getting frustrating because things were working just fine up until now.

EDIT - Ok I'm back on my new computer and its not doing the memory thing now.

lurkswithin said:
control panel>power options and make sure the power scheme is set to "always on" and that standby is set to "never" then on the hibernation tab make sure it is unchecked to disengage hibernating
let us know if that helps.

I went into the power settings and found that it wasn't set to "always on" and the setting for turn off monitor was on "after 20 min". Now this could have been the problem but it didn't make sense that the screen wouldnt shut off at any other time either than while playing a game. Anyways, on a higher note, the problem seems to be fixed now. I just ran the game and played for about 15 min and the monitor didn't turn off. Hopefully the problem has been fixed permanently.

BTW, just to ask, what is the cause for getting the other problem I mentioned where it says "invalid access to memory location"?

yay. I think that was problem probably has to do something with the ram. It could have been something that was temporary like it was idling to long the system went into hibernation and the ram didn't start back up. So just reboot and it should be fine.

AHHH! I guess I spoke too soon, the problem started up again. I have no clue why the game will work at times and then have major issues at other times. The monitor just shuts down again. I've read that there can be heat issues and/or frequency issues that can cause these problems as well. I've also read that the problem is definitely not monitor related at all and that it's the GPU. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom