US grand prix..... what a joke...

FIA blaming the teams isn't all that stupid at all...

6 cars managed to race, (ok they were using brdgestones) but that's what they choose...

cars with micheline tyres should have raced, but the drivers should have took the track conditions into account and as I said before, slowed down for the corner, it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you cannot safely take a corner fast you have to slow down!!!

Why should they have built a chicane? it was the teams choice to use michelin tyres, and obviously it was a bad choice!
would you support a choice to cripple the engines of other cars if a team chose a lesser engine?

no?

so why do you support changing the track, at the expense of the poeple who have made the right choices of tyre?

Root... if they slowed down on approach to the corner

1) it would be dangerous...
2) it would be poitnless...

the teams are sponsored by the tyre manufacturer... ferarri were the only team opposed to a chicane being built, thats 9:1...

i support changing the track because it would mean that a proper race would be able to be built...

how is slowing down to appreoach a corner dangerous and pointless?

the drivers slow down to approach the corner of chicanes, (in fact they'd have been slowing down to spproach the proposed chicane anyway!)

drivers have to slow down to approach hairpin bends...

why should this banked corner be any different?

Ferrari were right to appose the chicane, they had a technical advantage based on their engineering choices, that part of what the engineering award is about, the choices of the cars...

I agree a siz car race is a little dispointing, but then so is a track that practically drives its self...

What you are failing to realise is that braking in a car (any car) is neither pointless nor dangerous...

drivers slow down for every corner and every chicane, when a driver pulls in for a pit stop they apply their brakes, if a driver cannot drive within the mechanical capabilities of their car and track,

then the team should get a better driver. not pull out of races.

and just to clear up any confusions that have been placed in this discussion, any braking inside of a car will produce heat, it's to do with friction when the pads rub on the discs.

if the heat created in the braking is excessive it means that the driver has braked too sharply, certinaly white hot disc shattering heat should not be produced, and is not inside of the tollerances that the patrs are designed to work with...

if such a thing were to happen, it would show that the driver does not fully understand the mechanics of his car, and that he shpuld have braked sooner.

It is not about being blood thirsty and wanting to see accidents, it's about wanting to see drivers with real skill and understanding.

well if the ferarris are doing 200mph, and the other cars slow down more, then thats dangerous, that banked corner is a high speed corner, and if people are slowing down for it, and other people going fast, theres more chance of a crash... and its pointless from a racing point of view...

how is it the fault of the drivers? its not their fault... its michelin, and the FIA's fault.... the drivers can only drive what they are give... id like to see you go out there and do what they can do.... or anyone for that matter... i know that i certainly wouldnt be able to do what they do...

root said:
I think the real question is why are the Michelin tyres not as good a the bridgestone ones?
Maybe the tires were for a slower speed condistion. As in exspecting the chicane to be there.
The other teams figured the chicane was a lost cause and went with higher speed tires.
If you look at it as the formula of the mich tires didn't match the track, then yeah mich made a bad call. With the time frame of the 2 days they might have exspected the application of the chicane to fall on deaf ears and made other plans. Stick the right tires in a UPS 747 and ship them overnight to the track. Yeah that kind of error in judgement does make them look kinda bad.
So what have they learned here?
1> Always have a back up plan.
2> You're not always going to get your way.
3> When you don't get your way refer back to rule #1

mark thorpe said:
well if the ferarris are doing 200mph, and the other cars slow down more, then thats dangerous, that banked corner is a high speed corner, and if people are slowing down for it, and other people going fast, theres more chance of a crash... and its pointless from a racing point of view...

how is it the fault of the drivers? its not their fault... its michelin, and the FIA's fault.... the drivers can only drive what they are give... id like to see you go out there and do what they can do.... or anyone for that matter... i know that i certainly wouldnt be able to do what they do...
well, whilst I believe they are good drivers, surely th complete inability to slow down for a corner, or the comlpete inability to negotiate other cars does put rather a mar on their records?

Am I to assume that what you are saying is that in actual fact the track is completly innapropriate fo formula one racing?

Ill assuem the banked corner wasn't built on thursday, so why was this not mentioned before?

root said:
well, whilst I believe they are good drivers

then the team should get a better driver. not pull out of races.

make up your mind... in the first thing that you wrote, you were implying that the drivers were bad, now your saying that you think they are good ?????

surely th complete inability to slow down for a corner, or the comlpete inability to negotiate other cars does put rather a mar on their records?

it wasnt safe to race the tyres without a chicane... that has nothing to do with the drivers... the manufactures of the tyres said that the tyres wouldnt be able to cope with the tyres, and if they just slowed down for that corner, a) it would be dangerous and b) it would have been pointless as far as the race was concerned...

Am I to assume that what you are saying is that in actual fact the track is completly innapropriate fo formula one racing?

no, im saying that the tyres were up to it, if it wasnt up to F1 racing, the other races that have been held there wouldnt have happened...

Ill assuem the banked corner wasn't built on thursday, so why was this not mentioned before?

they knew it was there, michelin choose the wrong tyres to give to the teams..... they choose too soft a tyre for them to be able to withstand the pressures and heat that they would have had to withstand...

http://www.formula1.com/race/technical_analysis/740/149.html

BuzzStPoint said:
I dont want to sound foolish... (well already sound like it)

Whats a "chicane"

OK OK give me a break so it's not spelled right.
As for what it is, It's a small detour off the main course designed to slow down the field of cars.

Back
Top Bottom