portable hard disks

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I intend to get a portable hard disk for backup purposes, would using a external HDD case with a standard ATA HDD achieve the same effect as a portable HDD like the Iomega and Maxtor ones?

I'm a little confused what you mean :confused:. you want to take an empty external HDD case and stick an internal ATA HDD in it? if this is just me not understanding sorry.

Um...yeah? I have an external HD that I use for my MP3s. Of couse you can pick difference sizes(3.5 or 2.5") depending on your budget or how powertable you want it.

It depends on the casing you have, some will take standard disk drives, some take laptop disk drives.

Do you have an links?

Hmm, you should be able to buy proper external hard drives where no cases are needed which can work with firewire, and USB 2.0 for example to connect to a PC, and these aren't as expensive as you might think, but for a small one, i'm not too sure (though you could hit two birds with one stone if you were into music and wanted to store files on too, since you could buy a hard drive storage MP3 player :p)

I have a feeling your talking about putting a laptop hard drive in a special case so it can be powered by USB, am I right?

Kage said:
Hmm, you should be able to buy proper external hard drives where no cases are needed which can work with firewire, and USB 2.0 for example to conncet to a PC, and these aren't as expensive as you might think, but for a small one, i'm not too sure (though you could hit two birds with one stone if you were into music and wanted to store files on too, since you could buy a hard drive storage MP3 player :p)

damn right, loads of people do that with ipods (20 gig +). Buying a USB or firewire would certainly be better than using an ATA, because someone told me that USB and firewire are apparently faster. I am slightly confused byt your question though, please elaborate

iamroot said:
I intend to get a portable hard disk for backup purposes, would using a external HDD case with a standard ATA HDD achieve the same effect as a portable HDD like the Iomega and Maxtor ones?
Yes it would, I used to have an old 8.4 gig Seagate in a hard drive enclosure, that I used for while till I lost it in a house move. You can get them in both USB and Firewire... :D
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1204

Yeah, but I think I get what he meant :p It might be cheaper to do it that way, I'm not really sure.

I also think they might be faster too. i've personally only used USB 2.0 for data storage, and I've got to admit, I dno't notice any problems with slowdown of copying like I did with USB 1.0 on my old PC. Very worthy of replacement :p

Back
Top Bottom