HELP, computer won't turn on, HELP!

xTc

Baseband Member
PLEASE HELP, i have a problem with my computer at start up. Ok let me descibe my situation, when i try to turn on my computer, u can hear the PS starting up and spinning, and the red loading light turns bright, and then thats all......... nothing happens. Nothing else then runs, usually, i would hear the harddrive spin, and the specs of the vid card appear on the monitor,then a *BEIP* then goes to loading. But this time, nothing else turns on except the PS and the CPU fan. Theres even no message to the monitor so it can turn on. I dun think the problem is the PS, im thinking its the mother board, and i hope its not the CPU. Plea help,any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

I'd say your guesses where right, its your mobo or processor that is fried.

Make sure your PSU is ok though, if it sizzels, is extra silent or smells funny it may also be fried-but-working. If your PSU has gone then it's likly taken a few things with it.

If the cpu fan is running I would suspect the psu. The mobo and cpu are probably o.k. as they are usually protected by the mobo circuitry. Take the psu to a local shop and have them test it.

Yeah, and also check that no cables have come loose inside the case, like the power cables to the motherboard.

The monitor won't be coming on because it mustn't be getting a chance to switch to using the video card before the computer realises a problem has occured, so it halts.

It'l be something simple like that probably anyway :)

The PSU could have definietly gone funny though like Per says, if it isn't loose connections.
Especially if the 12v connection has gone a bit funny which some motherboards use to power the moterboard (happened with mine, though I didn't have the 12v plugged in, and I got it spinning, but no video like you adn the computer didn't boot...) so seems like that.

So check cables first :)

I hope this helps

The psu would be a good guess, but before I switched them I think that i would invest a few dollars for a cmos battery.

i dont think it would be the cmos battery because my comp is only 1.5 year old. and i dont think it would be the PSU because i tested one of power leads that connected to the HDD and it still delivers 12V. Yesturday i took my computer apart and reconnected everything and STILL, nothing!! :(

Well, the psu has 5 different voltage outputs so checking one doesn't prove anything. The only other thing is a faulty cpu fan.

yup, itz final, i took the comp to a computer shop for testing. They found that its not the PSU itz the motherboard. They said they think its because i left my 2 side panels open and alot of dust built up and so some carbon dust might have screwed the mother board. Any suggestions for which new motherboard i should get? well of corse one that would be compatible with my CPU. My CPU is a P4 2.6, bought it back in mid 2003.

Carbon dust....okay...thats the first time I would have heard about that... seems like a con to me, but yeah, I guess its plausable it is the motherboard, but seems bit weird thats what they came up with :p

Back
Top Bottom