Vb 6

I'd say that most people are migrating as we speak, although VB6 is still widely used, the place where I work is currently in the process of migrating, keeping some projects traditional VB6, and some in .NET.

I posted this same question on a different forum, and the general consensus was that it's still everywhere. For example, I still support VB6 apps on the job. Microsoft has stopped supporting it, though. Someone on the thread directed me to a bunch of open-source compilers.

Remember that there are still more programs written in COBOL than in any other language out there (and it has an overwhelming majority - something like 80% of all existing code is COBOL code), and that's considered a "dead" language by many.

Too bad, VB6 was a great beginner's language. Very easy to use. Of course it had its problems. But it was around for so long I doubt all VB6 apps have been converted to VB.NET at this point (I doubt all ever will be). Wrox put out a VB6 book in the last few years as a resource for the "VB6 community". Not sure where that's gone.

EDIT: added comments about COBOL (REEEEL important! :p )

I still use VB, I think that .NET means that one can program in different languages, but compile it as 1 .exe. Useful, I think you should convert to .NET, as its gonna be easier and more powerful that way. Also I think that Microsoft has completely converted to .NET, the "normal" VB is no longer produced

Back
Top Bottom