US grand prix..... what a joke...

Ah right kewl...I thought they had to use the same type anyways, and why couldn't the others be changed? Pit people can do it really fast!!!

setishock said:
Brakes fry after being used heavyly in a race. The point is the chicane would allow drivers to slow down at a pace that would save the brakes.
And as for your comment about little driver skill involved, Try going 200mph or better and making a sudden left or right turn. Those brakes you say they have are going to heat up like a SOB and fade away. And that impact in to the wall you or they hit at 200mph plus is measured in tons of force per square inch.
whp said anything about comming down from 200 to say 50 in a few seconds, there is no need for the brakes to fry...

thats like saying that I should drive down the road but not have to slow up for corners because ther are no traffic calming measures?

FYI when the driver goes into the chicane they would still have to use their brakes... surely (by your logic) they wuold still burn up like a SOB and fade away?

I notice how you locked Cobras thread after his use of OMG? and WTF?
well SOB is yet another thinly discuised expletive, when exactly are the mods going to start paying attention to the rules that they are laying down?

male offspring from a female dog...

if you can't work it our from that then come back in a few years!...

I said...

Cut back not stop all together. If you take out of context you make anything sound bad.

Now as for having to use the brakes in a chicane the drivers change the way they drive. The approch to the chicane is slower that it would be to the banked turn if the chicane was not there. In Nascar the tv coverage has included mounting in car cameras under the car looking at the braking systems. In a hard braking manuver the rotors heat up to bright orange. To get that hot is dangerous as it permits the temper of the rotor metal to be dampened or lost. It also causes the material the pads are made from to decompose. If the pad seperates from its mount or the rotor cracks it could simply fly apart. It has in the past acted like a knife and cut the wheel mounts and resulted in the wheel coming off and one nasty wreck. Race car technology is pretty sharp and winds up in street cars. It's part of the reason companies like GoodYear and Firestone and Michline test tires on the track. Other companies test different products on race cars.
But like I said these guys are not fools with their lives or their cars. Certin things have to be done to make the sport safe for all concerned.
The track owners and the raceing leauge governing body chose to ignore the plea to insert a chicane in the track to promote safety. But instead have become as blood thirsty as the fans that just watch to see the wrecks.
I'm out of this thread...

That does make us look foolish about the tires.. But I under stand the safty issue.. While I never watch F1, I'm a big Nascar fan. Safty is key to any racing sport.

I know may people were upset.. I once went to a local race.. Late Models.. Well all season one driver was winning every race. The drivers said his equiptment didnt fit the bill. But the officials didn't do any thing about it.. Well the biggest race of the season.. All the cars line up. take the paces laps.. Green flag.... no car speeds up.. They all turn in to the pits..

Every single heat did this.. What should have bee 3 hours of racing turn only to be about 40 minutes. Lots of angry people..

I think the real question is why are the Michelin tyres not as good a the bridgestone ones?

i think that they were not as good because michelin choose the wrong tyres to send to the teams, from what i heard from the coverage on ITV, the tyres were too soft to be able to withstand the high speed banking... im not 100% on the details, but thats what i think happened...

and the FIA blaming the teams is a joke... its the FIA's fault for not coming up with a solution, they knew about the problems on friday.... surley they would have been able to think of a solution in 2 days... i dont see what the problem with putting a chicane to slow the cars down would have been... i suppose they wouldnt have data mapping for that part, but if they had decided to do that on the first day that there was a problem, then the teams could have got data in the practice and qualifying on saturday...... oh well... i think F1 is finished in the USA now... it should have been sorted out as early as possible, and there wouldnt have been that problem... does anyone know if the people that went there are going to get their money back? i think that they should get it back, because they didnt get what they paid for... at least if they refund, itll look partly good for the FIA... as the ITV reporters said, why cant they forget about all the politicts and rules, and put on a decent race...

another problem apparently was the rough surface on the track wearing the tyres down too much, i think that was another problem, the 9 degree slope put too much pressure on the inner walls of the tyres, and therefore meant that they could not cope with going round the bend, the solution to this problem, according to the manufacturers of the tyres was to put a chicane in just before the bent, between bends 12 and 13...

Back
Top Bottom