Am I being ripped off!?

Fillerup

Solid State Member
Please tell me if I am being ripped off for this or not, for a dell dimension 4700. TOTAL PRICE WITH SHIPPING, TAXES, ETC. COMES TO $788.63. Am I being ripped off?

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Dimension 4700 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 w/HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Unit Price $1,128.00
Save $399 on select Dimensionâ„¢ 4700 desktops through Dell Small Business
Special offer
- $399.00

Catalog Number: 4
Module Description Show Details
Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 w/HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)
Keyboard Dell Quietkey® Keyboard
Monitor 17 inch E173FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards 128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE
Internal Hard Drives 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Floppy Drive and Memory Keys No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Dell 2-button scroll mouse
Network Interface Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
Modem No Modem Requested
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drives -- Read, Write and Store Data Single Drive: 48X CD-ROM Drive
Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio
Speakers Dell AS501PA 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for Analog Flat Panels
Productivity Software Pre-Installed No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
Security Software Pre-Installed No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Digital Photography Photo Albumâ„¢ SE Basic
Dell Service & Support Plans 90 day On-Site parts and labor, 90 day phone technical support
Onsite System Setup No Onsite System Setup
Internet Access Services 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Mail- In Rebate $100 Mail In Rebate
Miscellaneous Dimension 4700
Financial Software Pre-Installed No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.

ACCESSORIES
Belkin SurgeMaster 7-Outlet Qty 1
Unit Price $15.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free 720 Color Printer (Value $49.00) Qty 1
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Unit Price $0.00
Catalog Number: 4
Module Description Show Details
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange

Well, for the price, it's good. But what are you going to do with it? Pent.'s are good, but I personally recommend an amd. Is this for a small buisness like above? Or did you just copy and paste the whole thing? If you're going to game, then amd all the way. Is that your budget, or can you go a little higher?

well, that is my budget...this is for college, freshmen year going into, and i don't want to have to buy a new one every other year or anything like that. i want to stick with dell, you can't get amd then, can you? i plan on doing SOME gaming, mostly internet, talking, reports, basics. i configured that through dell, and copied and pasted the whole configuration. is this still good, or way too high of a price?

yeah i dont think that you are being ripped off either just see if there is anything more for your money.

why would i need to upgrade in a year or 2? wouldn't this computer be seficient (spelling) for at least 4 years at college?

ok, well then i guess i only want to know why would i have to upgrade in a year or so? and could i do ANY gaming on this computer? also, in like 3 years, would this computer run really slow or anything like that?

Well, dell isn't the best manufacturer. I know of gateway picking things up. They aren't too bad. In fact, they're pretty good. I saw a nice amd on sale a week ago. 3500+ amd 64 cpu. $1000. But if you can only afford that, then that's fine. It'll serve you well, as long as, like rdcmmnst said, that you're willing to upgrade your components. As programs and apps get more complex, you'll need 1 gig of ram, and if you plan to video edit, 80g isn't really that much. It's big enough for every day usage, but you get my drift. The video card is what I had, and since pci ex. is relatively new, that'll serve you nicely, until games get so complex you'll need a new one. Hopefully you don't plan to do any cd burning, because you can't with one cd-rom drive. You'll have to add a cd-rw drive to the second bay. With all the viruses out nowadays, I suggest you download avg (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) so that you're protected. And if that mouse isn't optical, well, *sigh* I know I'm doing so analyzing and such, but with a ball mouse, it'll get dirty, you'll have to clean it often, and it won't be as accurate as, say, a $10-$15 dollar microsoft optical mouse, the basic model one. But still, for the money, it's a good comp. I would get that anyday. Hope this helps. :D

wow, jac006, that does help me a lot. I have my own DVD rom burner thing that'll do all of that stuff, and i don't want to spend $1000, or upgrade to a gig of ram. i'm not going to be doing any video editing, or hardcore gaming. maybe in the future i will need 1 gig of ram..one last question. if my computer starts to run slowly, for anyreason, and i upgrade to 1 gig of ram, will that speed it up? thanks for everything and all the insight!

Back
Top Bottom