CPU for reasonable $$

Belwar

Solid State Member
Im building a new computer, geared towards speed and gaming, but it would seem that you can't get a good CPU without dishing out about $600. My budget 1s $1500 for the whole computer, and $600 on just a CPU would kind of screw me for the other stuff. Anybody know a good CPU I could get for a lesser price?

Thanks for any help. :)

AMD 64 probably, but if there is an Intel 4 that is better and costs less, than I could change.

where do you live (just need to know currency)

<edit> also do you know what MOBO you want? or a price range

Yeah, you don't need to aim for the FX-55 in the Athlon 64 range to know you have the best system around...

A 3000+, 3200+, or 3500+ would do you fine for any task you'd want to do, and also doesn't break the bank...

It depends what make of processor you would decide to choose though as to the performance you would get.

Do you play games? Or do you do more Video editing, and CPU intensive tasks like that?

AMD is known to be cheaper though for the same bang per buck as it were, but isn't as good at video editing and such (not by a wide margin) than a good Pentium 4, and AMD's are known to be better for games.

I hope this helps :)

Lol.... $600!?!? No. As Kage and others said, a fast and "good" cpu is really only like $200-$300. Have you been to newegg.com ? They sell really good stuff for really good prices. Yeah, I got my 3500+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103532
for less than $300. And let me tell you, it is really fast. You don't need the new dual core's that are quite a lot of $$$ unless you multitask like no other. What kind of gaming do you plan to do? CS:S? WOW? COD? Battlefield 2? HL2? If it's games like those, yeah, a nicely built amd 3200+ or 3500+ will serve you well, as long as you get a good enough card to go along with it, say, like a 6600 or an x700 or x800 or even a 6800, if you have the money. What's you budget for the whole computer?

Hmmm...

I think you need to look at the motherboards first then a cpu chip to go with it. My personal fav is MSI followed by Biostar. A lot of bang for the buck and killer warranties to boot.

Back
Top Bottom