computer life span

lurkswithin said:
Just like a washer/dryer, a car, a bike, and a lot of other things around the house. How well you take care of it will depend on how long it lasts. But heat is the worst thing for it, Then bugs(believe it or not) then dust. And of course the cost has a lot, too, as you get what you pay for. But all in all an average cost computer should last about 5 years without major issues. But In real time it should be updated every 2 to 3 years to stay current with the technology of the day.

what do you mean bugs? as in computer bugs?

No, as in the insect world....
ants love the insides of electronic systems as do roaches and moths( which by the way is the culprit that was termed "computer bug") nothing worse than to see your system fried because an insect shorted itself across a terminal.

do you live in florida. Hehehe 27 floor here and ant free. Of course the russian climate isn't exactly a bug's paradise.

lurkswithin said:
No, as in the insect world....
ants love the insides of electronic systems as do roaches and moths( which by the way is the culprit that was termed "computer bug") nothing worse than to see your system fried because an insect shorted itself across a terminal.

hahaha.. oh i see...

Starr said:
I think my hard drive has been going for about three years but like 6% of the drive is fragmented. And if I try to run a defrag or a system cleanup the computer restarts. So I backed up my moms pictures and am waiting for the worst.

Just a side note, if you run it in safe mode it should let you defrag

setishock said:
Heat will shorten the life of any computer dramaticly. Good cooling is mandatory for long life and stable operation.
I have a P3 that is going on 10 years old with a WD 20gig drive and the only thing that has ever been changed on that baby is the case.
Proper care is the key...

they had 20gigs HDD ten years ago? it must have cost a lot of money. i remember 5 years ago my bro bought a 14 gig for like 200 dollars,lol.

Hard drives can last for years, but don't spect them to last for a week.
Always backup.

Back
Top Bottom