Listening to cd's

wakeford90

Solid State Member
I put a cd into my laptop and when i try to listen to it in windows media player it comes up with and error message saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available". but it is on a cd. also when i go into my computer and click on the disk it says that all the files are CDA so it doesn't work. in the past it has worked and they were not cda files but wav. how come this is happening? it is very annoying because i cannot copy cd's now. plz help thanx

This will probably be the auto play that isn't working, and its true about the .cda files not being accessible by just selecting them.

Put the cd in and ignore the startup box saying to play it. Then just open Windows Media Player manually.

Now, make sure Now Playing is selected, and there is an arrow next to it, yeah? Click that and it'll bring down a list. Simply select the CD drive to make it read it, and it'll load it then :)

I've had that problem before, but not with CD Rom's...same issue though.

I hope this helps :)

af what kage says doesn't work then by any chance have you updated windows media player. Or checked in any other cd player if the files are ok you may have scratched your disc. But it sounds like kage has got everything going good for you.

Yeah thanks :)

Yeah, if you have Windows XP, I would update to Microsoft WIndows Media Player 10 from the website, which will give you a better look, and allows you to rip in mp3 format if you haven't got it already. It might also fix your problem, though the above is how you do it otherwise.

I hope this helps

It doesn't work. It happens in all programs like itunes and real player. it is recognizing the files as being .cda. this has never happened before. they used to be .wav files so it would play them and allow me to copy them. plz help

Hey, Audio CD's have always been cda, but should be accessible with Windows Media Player anyway. You should have noted before that other programs wouldn't work though as this leads to other issues :p

Can you run data discs normally without problems?

It seems something to do with the CD drive though, and I would un-install the CD drivers, and then re-install them:

To remove it though, go into the Control Panel and go to System, hardware, Device Manager. Find the CD drive under DVD/CD drives, and right click it and go to Uninstall.

After it has uninstalled, restart the machine.

If all has gone well, Windows should detect a change in hardware, and find the drivers for the CD drive automatically again, hopefully fixing your problem.

This seems like the only soloution if its not the programs themselves.

I hope this helps :)

no i have uninstalled it and then installed it again it still doesn't open up the CD's i am trying to play and seems to think they are CDA files. it was fine a week ago when i ripped X+Y but now it doesn't work. system restore im thinking?

Yeah, all CD Audio discs use a format called cda though your drive should be able to read them...

Yeah, i'd use System Restore if I were you and try and get back to about a week ago. Something must have happened in that space of time...maybe you deleted a piece of software that did something with CD Audio discs?

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom