Need help with graphics cards.

Rhenerie

Baseband Member
Basicly ... which is better and why ...

[PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 6800 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Or

[PCI-Express 16x] ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Thanks in advance

BTW i have an SLI MOBO but only getting one Graphics card ..

A very loaded question there. It will boil down more to personal preference than anything else. ATI has its ups and downs along with Nvidia. although both cards are great, I prefer the Nvidia because there are less issues with the drivers than what ATI has.But others will go for the better high profile gaming issues and speed (frame rates)....that can only be seen with benchmarking tools issues and the over clocking issues too.

they are both very good cards. Now you have to just take the games you want to play and compare their fps and all that good junk.

If its the standard it pains me to say that the X800XL would give it a good beating in most benchs. If the its the 6800GT 256 then its best to get that.

If you overclock the 6800 though it will perform as well as the X800XL so its really up to you .

Ok well since it seems so close ... the ATI is cheaper .. ill just get that ... but out of curiosity ..... REALISTICLY would i see a difference with the nVidia 6800GT 256MB at all ... i mean just playing games not overclocking or what not , would i see any significant difference ? .

You would see a difference with the 6800GT yes, but you said up there the 6800 :p

Video cards made by Geforce work like this:

Standard, GT, and then Ultra (best)

If you got the GT (would cost more than the standard) you would get much better performance than the ATI card with no overclock.

The standard one though if you don't want to overclock would lose out from the ATI X800XL which would beat it in most games, with the frames per second of course being higher, unless you overclocked, in which case, it could match it! :p

So its up to you. It seems you have made your choice with ATi though since its cheaper, and will out perform in some places, so yeah.

I hope this helps :)

Yes i did say normal 6800 first ... was just wondering about the GT ..
thanks ..

BTW kage do you have AIM ?? PM me if ya do please ... i wont bug ya lol............. to much .

What are you all on about the 6800GT beating the X800 XL. Have you not been reading reviews of graphics cards in the last 6 months!!!?

Listen up Rhenerie, the X800 XL performs practically the same as the 6800GT; obviously in some tests the Nvidia wins, in others the X800 XL wins but overall they are equal in performance.
However, as you say, the ATi costs much less, which overall makes it the better card.

Every single website/magazine I've seen has been saying that the X800 XL is THE chip to buy.

Just to consolidate what I've said, I've just sold my 6800NU (PCI-E, 256MB), to buy an ASUS X800XL for £200.

Yeah 99tallop thats what i thought .... i just wasn't sure ... im glad i stayed with the ATI ...plus i know for sure on halflife 2 it outproforms the 6800GT .

Oh well...some of my statements were true :p Just switch them around :D

I do still think the Geforce has its advantages over Radeon cards though, and not just with performance... though this is just my thoughts and first hand use :p

Back
Top Bottom