Household fuses

BuzzStPoint

Daemon Poster
Need some input if anyone can give it..

I sold a windows style airconditioner to my Aunt.

Well she blows fuses in her trailer home. 15amp screw in type fuses.
There is no single circuit in the home so it's mainly interconnected.

Anyone know if they make a screw in resetable fuse? More like a circuit breaker?

no, I don't think so, but you could go to a higher rated screw in fuse like a 20 or 25 amp on that circuit without too much of an issue..if it still blows then you had better get a different circuit all together.

you would be better off just adding a line to the air conditioner and installing a 50 amp disconnect with 2 breakers in there on the side and coming thru the wall and installing a remodelers box for the outlet in the inside wall that way the air conditioner would be on its own circuit and you could elliminate the issue.

That sounds like the best solution.

I dont want to tell them to put in a higher rated fuse. This is an older Mobile home.. mid 1970's So I dont want them to risk fire.

They used to sell fuses that you can reset. It looked like a fuse but had a little button in the center for the reset.

Google em.

Also, if you can not find them, try one with a time delay on it. That will get you past the initial surge from the AC unit before it pops.

Um...

I agree about running another cable to its own box or to a double pole breaker in the main box.
The only problem I see is having to come out from the wall to get past the angle iron bracket in the bottom of the wall It's a part of the framework the main house sits on. I've put some security systems in moble homes as well as some ac's before. I had to drop back from the wall about an inch or so to get a clear shot to the outside under the floor. Be careful Buzz, We wanna see you back here...

Hi Buzz I am a journeyman electrician. I suggest you set the sub panel and a dedicated circuit also. The older trailers sometimes were wired with aluminum wire instead of copper which made them susceptible to overheating and fire. If you look on the data plate of the unit it will give you an amperage rating. It will be 15, 20, or 30 amps. Wire size is 15 amp= #14, 20 amp= #12, 30 amp= #10.
Hope this helps.
Take a look here.
http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoarticles/subpanel.htm

yeah that helps alot.. I know my eletrical abilitites and could probably do just fine.. But I never done it and wouldn't want to risk homes and lives on it.

I'll tell her the best option is to have a sub-panel installed. And that she need to call an electrician to do the job. In the mean Time I'll pick up some time delay fuses for her.

Excellent choice. When I retired from flying I worked part time as an electrician. You wouldn't believe some of the jury-rig dangereous work I ran across.

per said:
Excellent choice. When I retired from flying I worked part time as an electrician. You wouldn't believe some of the jury-rig dangereous work I ran across.
I hope you never learned to tinker on the 747 electronics, per. :p

Back
Top Bottom