computer life span

Yeah, People either have really good luck with hard drives, or not so :p

Hard drives when they do go though are such a pain!

technoman said:
Hard drives are like 2 year not sure about the rest it depends how much money you spent on them. What i do is get medium Hard drives and before they die i copy all the data across to my new one and life goes on :)

are you sure?
i have an old windows 95 computer from 1995, so it's 9 years old. it has a 1.5GB hd and its still running....

Life span...

Heat will shorten the life of any computer dramaticly. Good cooling is mandatory for long life and stable operation.
I have a P3 that is going on 10 years old with a WD 20gig drive and the only thing that has ever been changed on that baby is the case.
Proper care is the key...

I think my hard drive has been going for about three years but like 6% of the drive is fragmented. And if I try to run a defrag or a system cleanup the computer restarts. So I backed up my moms pictures and am waiting for the worst.

Parts life also depend where you get it. I recently replaced a PS for a client in a dell that was only 2 years old! However there weren't any case fans in his box either. Also, I was a sysadmin at a school for a bit, and they had some ubsession with buying P3 vectras that were worth about $600 for over $1000 because they felt they needed the support. Well 18 out of the 30 computers in the lab and hard drives crap out with in 2 years. I don't know if it was the vendor they were purchasing the HPs through or what, but something was not making sence. If you purchase something with cooling and from a reliable vendor though, I'd say most parts seem to work until the technologies old and it needs to be replaced anyways.

whoa.. thanks for the quick replies.. so i think that computers' life span really depends on several things...

Just like a washer/dryer, a car, a bike, and a lot of other things around the house. How well you take care of it will depend on how long it lasts. But heat is the worst thing for it, Then bugs(believe it or not) then dust. And of course the cost has a lot, too, as you get what you pay for. But all in all an average cost computer should last about 5 years without major issues. But In real time it should be updated every 2 to 3 years to stay current with the technology of the day.

Back
Top Bottom