Computer Alarm Went Off Please Help

Windex1

In Runtime
Don't flame me, i'm very serious.

So, all of a sudden i was surfing the web and then an alarm goes off inside of my computers, I looked around real quick to make sure there was no bomb or I was cracked by the FBI and just turned off the computer.

I didn't know if the computer had gotten to warm or what..

I recently installed 256 megabytes of SDRAM but I didn't upgrade the CPU or put in a new fan..

I wonder if that alarm that went off inside the computer had anything to do with temperature because of overheating from the RAM..

anyone got any advice for me?

Yeah, the beeping would have been because of overheating.

Go into the bios (del at bootup) and check if it shows the temperature on it, adn see how hot the CPU's getting (thats what it was probably about)

In one of the menus there is then a setting to change when the warning alarm goes off, and another to turn the PC off, but the alarm is usually just a warning and won't cause damage I wouldn't think at that temp.

Just check though what the warning temperature is, 60 degrees C or something?

It is getting hotter these past few days though and might be one of the reasons, and what CPU have you got?

i hope this helps :)

It's current temp is 104 degees farenheit and rising..

it's alarm is set at 170

should i turn it off and get a new fan?

maybe if i took a 128 stick out it would cool down a bunch? i don't really want to take out the 128 stick.

170 degrees farenheit... thats about 76 degrees C...god... no wonder it was going off :eek: Thats pretty bad that, though if its a Pentium, it might just be normal for a system running at full load, though still a bit too hot. 60 degrees yeah, but not 70...

and 104 is about 40 degrees C so thats fine. I wonder what made it rise so high then?...

Yeah, I'd advise you get a new fan, it seems it went a bit funny then, and might have slowed down when it was needed. You have an alright fan though...

What were you doing when it got that hot? Though even a full on PC shouldn't get that hot.

Do you have AMD or Intel? Intel I'd guess, like a Pentium 4, though the fan must be good to get it down to 40 degrees C or 104 Degrees farenheit.

If you have a AMD machine, then somethings definitely wrong with the fan to make it jump that high! Or the sensors not that accurate...

No, this sucker is old.. i'd tell you the specs but that stickied program starting with ever.. or something is gone..

Pentium 3 667 mhz intel celeron
I think it was only upgradeable to 256 MB RAM
Ethernet 10/100
pci sound
apg video..
yeah.. basic setup.. it's an old mobo though..

...yep...get a new fan now! :p It shouldn't be getting that hot at all! Even 40 degrees C is hot for a system like that! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom