Hard Drive Issus

water101

Beta member
I had the Blue screen of death pop up while computer was running and tried to restart the computer. Once turned if off it will not start again. It looks for the IDE drive and can not find it. I tried unpluging and pluging in the hard drive a few times with no luck. The same cable that runs the hard drive also runs the CD rom and that works because I loaded the XP disk in and rebooted but when it goes to install it says no hard drive found. The system is a 2.6 G with 512 ram and 80g hard drive about 1.5 years old and has been running great till now.

Hmm, well first thing to change is to make the CD rom run from IDE2 and not IDE1 where the hard drive is, then make the hard drive IDE1 so its on its own from the CD drive.

Then try pushing cables in fully, taking them out if necessary and pushing them back in on the motherboard.

Now if that doesn't do it, then reset the bios chip to test that.

All you have to do is take out the circular battery on the motherboard for about an hour to clear the memory.
Also check your motherboard manual if it contains something called a 'CMOS MEMORY CLEARING HEADER' or something like that (Will wipe faster than just removing the battery)
If you have, then find this jumper object on the motherboard and switch it to another position, leave it for a few minutes, and then put it back.

Hopefully these ideas will work. I hope this helps :)

Thanks I though about the Bios. I will change the cable but it has been working like that for over a year now.

Hehe I could of just said that, but it seems rather mean to say "your hard drives dead"...it does seem that way if the above doesn't work though :( Did you back up your drive regulary?

I was pretty sure it was cooked, but I just wanted to cover all bases before I send it to the grave. No back up as it was mostly used for burning and emails.

Thanks

It is a dead hard drive. I tried it another machine and it did not notice it either. It remains cold, like there is no power getting to it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom