When installing XP, computer jams

J

Solid State Member
Hi there,

Have a problem installing XP or 2000. Doesn't matter if it is a clean instalation or an upgrade. If it is clean when it loads all the files and gives me and option if i want to install it, in a matter of a second computer jams. No matter how manz times i restart it it does the same thing.The same is with 2000. If it is an upgrade during the instalation it jams also. Please help me !!!
On the other hand installing 98 or ME is not a problem but i don't want them. Please tell me what to do!

Need much more info such as cpu, memory, any error messages, etc. Karnak left when Johnny Carson died.
That problem is usually a memory problem.

Yea i agree sounds like a memory problem (not enought?) please post full specs :)

Hi guys, thanks for the help.
The info is, Intel P II. 600 MHZ, RAM 176. I know that it is low, but i had already XP working on it for 10 months and it wanst a problem. Recently i got a virus and i had to format a drive and since then it is not letting me to install XP or 2000. I put Me on and scan it for viruses but nothing. Is it posible that virus is still on and is not letting me install any NT windows. Like i said even considering the low RAM of 176 it all worked perfectly before. I was really happy with the stability of the system so i want it on again. I hope that this will help you help me.

Thanks.

Yeah, though the Windows installation wouldn't be bothered by viruses since it wouldn't affect this part of the computer, so the installation should be able to carry out a wipe (format) and start again.

As for the memory, like people have said, this is more likely to be the problem than anything :( It happens, and even good memory can go bad. I'd use that program per gave you to scan for the RAM speed (for example PC3200/DDR400 (wont be that speed though)) and then buy duplicate RAM that fast and simply replace it. This should sort the problem out.

I hope this helps :)

Remove every thing except one memory stick and the video card. If it fails again swap the memory.

Back
Top Bottom