Question Over clocking problems also BF2?

rockermonki

Solid State Member
I have a p4p800-vm mb and wondering if i can buy a cpu at 3.4ghz. The mb says it can only support up to 3.2ghz. Right now i have a p4 2.66@3.2ghz. I cant oc above 3.2ghz because it becomes unstable. Does it make a differance of which cpu u have when oc because myne is a northwood and my friends is a presscott. He can oc his to 3.6ghz and his original speeds are 2.66 like myne. He uses a asus utillity and i use clock gen, My mb does not have a oc utilily in the bios or does not support it. My friend has a p4p800. Also heat is not an issue because i have as5 and a $50 zalman. Also if i buy a 3.4ghz cpu will it work with my mb because my mb says only 3.2ghz.. One more thing i play the bf2 demo alot and it lags quite a bit. Is it my cpu my ram or gpu. I have one 1gb of ram and its generic. I have a 6600GT agp. and u knw a p4 2.6ghz

Yeah, it does matter about the core since they can use a completly differnt archietecture.

And I'm afraid your motherboard won't work with something more than a 3.2 if it says it :( It might be because it starts using a different pin amount which isn't compatable. Though 2.66@3.2ghz is a excellent overclock anyway! :D

Plus it might be the reason why you can't overclock more than 3.2 since your motherboard only supports them speeds.

I'm afraid if you wanted to overclock, you'd have to buy a new motherboard and new CPU :(

I hope this clears things up :)

I just bought the mb and if i buy a presscott will it oc higher. My friend has a presscott p4 2.6 and its at 3.6. His mb says it can only support up to 3.0

Back
Top Bottom