printer question

browning_man9

Beta member
I have a question about a printer and surge protection. We have a business, and it just so happens that whenever we get a big lightning storm, our computer system shuts off. We have all of our equipment hooked up to quality surge protectors. Finally now though, the printer has seemed to died after a storm yesterday. Our computers go down way too often now, and now our printer has died. I am almost positive that we aren't getting direct hits from the lightning, but a transformer or something is hit close by. Is there anything that we can do to prevent this from future occurrances? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hmm... you know how surge protector plugs work? Basically when they notice a surge (when lightning strikes, or the transformer) they notice it, and turn off the power before it can cause damage to components connected to the system which is whats happening, as these surges can be very dangerous.

As for stopping it shutting them off, there is something called UPS, which is a battery that stores power, and when it goes from the power supply, it starts drawing power from the special battery.

I dont know where you can buy them i'm afraid, but I'd think they were connected to the PSU (power supply) in some way and so might need a special one.

It would give you time though to turn off your PC, before the power on that goes (should give you a bit of time)

To test if yours already supports it, but its not switched on, go to the Control Panel, and to Power Options. Go to the UPS tab. Are options blanked out or clickable? If they are clickable, you might just have one already on the system ready for use!

I hope this helps :)

We have UPS's for our front desk at our hotel. When power goes out the UPS immeadiatly kicks in.. The UPS is a smaller one we have give us about 10-15 minutes of computing power. more then enough time to run our emergency reports, print them out and run the hotel under manual power..

You may be losing your power because of faulty GFI circuits in your building. Talk to a good electrician about that also as it may not be totally necessary to have to purchase the UPS unit(s).

yeah a UPS goes between the power point at the PSU in the computer, attached to the same chord i think. theres a piece that goes in there somehow.

neway its pretty handy. my old man had them on his computers at his old work which was always having surges.

Ah right kewl, glad i helped :)

Yeah, I had a feeling it would have to be somehow connected to the Power Supply.

At least it would give enough power for the normal power to come back online, where as the UPS would then switch off and probably recharge again :D

Back
Top Bottom