LAG Galore: Mouse/Video/Start-up Time/Loading/Music!!! Out of Ideas

Coldkilla1

Solid State Member
Hi,

I got the computer about 5-6 months ago. The computer worked wonders during that whole time without the need of a format. Recently, Windows took over 2-4 minute to load instead of 15 seconds. My mouse lagged whenever the system was loading. My music started to lag (More distinct when the computer is busy). Video started to lag as well. Video lags and sound lags, throw them two together with a game, loading takes 100s of times longer to load/install/copy something.

Things I've tried:
1. Formatted my hard drive – Full format, not quick (Worked for a week or two, but then came back)
2. Ran Anti-Virus software (Mcafee/Norton 2005)
3. Ran Anti-Spyware programs: Ad aware, spybot, Microsoft's utility for removing spyware, and some others.
4. Taken apart my system, moved RAM sticks to different slots, removed Video Card and cleaned that as well.
5. It isn't an over heating problem due to the fact that it can be off over 9 hours and come back when I wake up the next morning.
6. My registry is clean (Ran a check using the program WinASO)
7. The hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic stats that both of my hard drives PASSED
8. Drivers that were used for the 5+ months were ONLY those from the CDs and that is when the computer worked perfectly. After formatting my computer, and using the exact same drivers from those CDs, the problem still came back. The newest drivers were then installed and the problem remained.
9. There are no programs eating my computer (Task manager)
10. System Restore: Works but only for a short period of time (24 hours perhaps, or less).
--------------------------------------------------
Things that I have done in the passed few weeks that may help with my situation, to possible find a solution:

1. This is my first built computer and I am no expert with computers.
2. I recently installed my second western digital hard drive. (Currently don't know what the jumper is connected to)
3. The problem after a format came back after I minimized a game to chat online.
System Specs:

AMD 3000+
450W PSU MGE NINJA Case
1024 DDR Corsair Ram
GeForce 6800GT
2x 80GB Western Digital 7200RPM Hard Drives
Windows XP Professional

Any ideas are really appreciated... I need to at LEAST pin point the source, wether its hardware related, or some kinda software. I feel as if I'm searching for a needle in a hay stack considering I've gotten nowhere in other forums using the suggestions they provided (Above).

If you have ANY idea what this could be, I am really open for listening. Thanks!!

Wow. Looks like you have the bases covered. When it starts lagging can you check to see where the system resources are being used using ctl-alt-del and hitting the performance and process tab.

Sounds like it make be a hardware problem of some kind. Maybe a bad HDD? You try installing windows on the other HD?

I am not sure what to advise but please post if you get it figured out.

EDIT - Could a bad PSU cause something like this? Jumps or lags in voltage perhaps? Maybe try another PSU?

Ok...

It appears that you like to multitask your system. Nothing wrong there but if you multitask large programs you're going to get some lag. But let's see what we can do about that.

1> Go to the msconfig menu and under startup find any progran you don't need to boot up and run in the background and uncheck the box. Don't kill what you don't know about. You can get in a real pickle if you do. Click apply and ok and let it reboot. A box pops up at boot up and tells you you made some changes. Click don't show me this again.

2> Go to the pagefile controls and add a pagefile to the second drive you have. Make the min and max the same size. (Rule of thumb here is 1.5 times the amount of ram you have.) Keeps xp from going bug eyed trying to figure out how big a file you need on the fly. Go back to the primary drive and fix the pagefile to the absolute min size and make both max and min the same. Click apply and ok and really would not hurt at this point to reboot.

3> Do a full defrag on all drives and do it at least twice a week.

4> Run all your ad/spy/malware tools and your antivirus from safe mode. This doen't let the system completely load up and smacks the nasties when they are not running and a bear to get rid of.

Now don't let people tell you to turn off the restore points as this is not a good idea. But you can reduce the size of the drive space it takes. Right click on my computer and select properties and go to the system restore tab. Move the slider to the left to make the space smaller. Don't make it too small or all you're going to get is one or two days. While you're in that screen you might want to clean out the old restore points.

Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head but it's a start. Please let us know either way how it comes out. There's some sharp minds in here so if that don't get ya someone else may have some other ideas.

I agree with what setishock has told you. You have covered all the bases here and by removing the unneeded programs from the start folder will help speed up also.
I think that there may be one more issue to look at here also, You stated that you had TWO anti-virus programs(mcafee and norton). If you have both installed and running they sometimes conflict with each other. i would recommend that you turn one off and comepletely remove it from your system.

Yeah, I'd honestly get rid of Mcafee and keep Norton. Its more Spyware programs which yuo should have two. Viruses and trogans seem to be better tracked and are easier to figure out soloutions for.

Plus your sound might be lagging when the CPU is working hard because you have an onboard one (it wont be the cause of the slowdown) but because it uses CPU time, and its not available, that'll be why this skips a load when it lags.

I hope this helps :)

I failed to mention that only 4%-13% of system resources are being used at any given time. Only 21 processes are running as well. Since I restored Mcafee was deleted and now I am only using norton. I did the system restore memory thing to 5% from 12%.

Did a scan in safe mode, nothing came up. Could this be hardware in anyway? I can get a new PSU or something but if the warrentys run out I need to find this problem's source right away. Especially if its my video card.

I will later try to switch the hard drives and install windows xp on the other drive. First I want to explore all possible options before spending an entire day formatting/installing drivers/software/games.

Is there a way I can monitor PSU voltages or whatever? So I know if its that and I could just buy a new one. If it's my $450.00 dollar video card.. then that is a problem to me.. considering i don't make a lot of money (I'm 17)..

Where's this pagefile you spoke of? Remember the funny thing here: System restore works. It might be something to do with switching between one of the two applications I have running. AIM and BF2 Demo. Now I can't play ANY games because the load time goes from 1 minute to 10 minutes.. Windows XP now takes 4-5 minutes to load instead of 15 seconds.. Complete format doesnt work.. what next

When you reformatted, did you reinstall all your programs and games at once? If so, here's my suggestion if the less invasive methods don't work:

Reformat and just install Windows and AIM. Use that for a day or two as you normally would. If everything is fine, install another program, and use it for a bit. Since it's possible that switching between AIM and BF2 could be doing this (it is a demo with possible bugs), I recommend making it your next install. Test it thoroughly. Do the switching a bunch of times. Like I said, it is a demo, so there might be a problem with BF2's code that permanently alters a Windows setting when you do this. If the problem doesn't come back, install another program. Keep doing this until either you have all your programs installed and running normally or the problem returns.

If it does return and you've been testing and using the programs thoroughly as you install them, it suggests that the problem is being caused by the most recently installed program. If the problem returns before you install any other programs, it suggests that either your copy of Windows has a problem (unlikely) or that it is a hardware problem. If the problem does not return, then congratulations. It'll take a little time, but knowing whether it is a software or hardware problem is one of the biggest steps in computer troubleshooting.

EDIT> Considering that system restore fixes it (an indication that it might be a software problem), I recommend one thing you can do before trying the above. Use the same method except use it by running the programs instead of installing them.

For example:

Do a system restore. Everything is loading fine at this point, right? Good. Now, run one program like your web browser. Do some stuff on it for awhile. Check your e-mail, read these forums, whatever. If everything's fine, open another program like AIM. Use that for a bit. Then, same as I suggested for the reformat, open BF2 and try switching windows again. If that works, go through all your programs just running them and using them for a bit until the problem recurrs. This method is less likely to work, but it might save you another reformat.

Thanks. Will do. I'll get back to you by Tuesday with an update. Thanks all for you're suggestions. If you have a superb idea that fixes all of these simptoms (unlikly).. throw it here.. otherwise i'm testing fusions idea.

One thing i don't think you mentioned you checked was device manager. see if any of your hardware is conflicting. maybe the second HDD doesn't like another hardware peice,lol. It could also be the PSU i have never heard of that company before so i don't know if their PSU's are any good. i don't know of a program to check though.

Here's an idea I had (I dont know if its causing this or not).

I went into my IDE Properties for both hard drives and this is a picture from both windows.. Is there a problem here? From my end I dont know one thing from another: Picture - Link

Otherwise I don't know. The problem started to occur shortly after buying my new hard drive. Perhaps the jumpers in the back are screwed up? Perhaps one is failing? Perhaps the new one is a POS.. Who knows. I've been thinking of a new PSU.. but if you guys say its something else.. I have no one else to turn to.

Back
Top Bottom