Random Shutdown

The only friend of mine that lives close has a 5200, but it's a pci card instead of agp. Would you think it smart to go ahead and purchase a video card like I had planned?

Use the PCI card and see if it your computer still has the issue. If it locks up then it is probably not the video and illiminates that option

Alright, i'll get ahold of him and see if i'll be able to use his card for a day or so. If not, i'm still on the track of 'troubleshooting' the RAM so we'll see where I end up with that in a day or two.

Well, it's been about a day and a half since I pulled that 2nd stick of RAM and so far i've had no shutdowns. I'll give it a couple more days to see how it acts. If it still doesnt shut down then i'll go ahead and swap out the one thats in there for the one I removed, and see if the problem comes back.

Great !, It goes to show that you can't just trust all these programs to verify wether it is working properly or not...
Keep us all posted of your findings.

Kewl, it always seems to be RAM causing problems like that...pretty horrid, as it seems to be happening more and more on these forums. Though its just a simple switch :) Glad it seems to be working :)

I was really hoping that it wouldnt be my RAM that was the problem, but so far all the clues are pointing in that direction. It's not absolute yet, but a few more days should tell a tale. I'll certainly keep you guys posted and let you know how it all turns out.

Yeah, you do that :)

RAM does cause rather weird problems though since its what holds all the data for programs to access, etc, and so can cause really strange crashes and such.

Its better it being the RAM than your hard drive or windows installation for example :p

Over two days now crash free. I think that if nothing happens by, say 5pm, then i'm going to go ahead and swap stick 1 with stick 2 and see how things hold up.

well ...I'd almost prefer the problem you're having to be the RAM rather than motherboard or cpu or even power supply. RAM prices are fairly cheap these days. newegg's got 3200 512mb sticks for around $40.

Back
Top Bottom