explain

a disk defragmentor takes the fragments of files from your hard drive and either deletes them or moves them, thus making you computer faster. Do one about every 6 months or more

Think of your Harddrive as a Fileing cabinet..

You have lots of paperwork sitting around your table, desk and floor. You sort find and then drop in the most convient place..

Well. The Disk defrag will take all your information and put in in one location on your harddrive.

Kinda like if you picked up all your papars from the floor, table and desk and put them in a filing cabinet.

Marshillboy said:
a disk defragmentor takes the fragments of files from your hard drive and either deletes them or moves them, thus making you computer faster. Do one about every 6 months or more

From the front page of Diskeeper...

It's not your imagination—computer systems really do slow down over time, and disk fragmentation is the cause. Disk fragmentation builds rapidly, causing system slowdowns, slow boot times, crashes, freeze-ups and instability, and even total system failures.

Daily defragmentation is the only way to obtain full-throttle performance from workstations and servers. In order to defragment daily, you need an automatic defragmenter. You can run yourself ragged manually defragmenting every workstation, desktop, laptop and server on a regular basis—or you can have the problem taken care of automatically with NEW Diskeeper 9, the Number One Automatic Defragmenter.

http://www.execsoft.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

Wombat said:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not your imagination—computer systems really do slow down over time, and disk fragmentation is the cause. Disk fragmentation builds rapidly, causing system slowdowns, slow boot times, crashes, freeze-ups and instability, and even total system failures.

Daily defragmentation is the only way to obtain full-throttle performance from workstations and servers. In order to defragment daily, you need an automatic defragmenter. You can run yourself ragged manually defragmenting every workstation, desktop, laptop and server on a regular basis—or you can have the problem taken care of automatically with NEW Diskeeper 9, the Number One Automatic Defragmenter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily??!! *splutter**cough**wheeze* Who has the time to do it daily. I can understand monthly, weekly, but daily??!! Well, I guess it depends on space too...

Actually why not set it up to either defrag on startup or shut down. While I admit I don't do mine everyday, I do defrag about every other day as I am on the computer about 16 hours a day. i also have a special disc that does all my clean up actions for me that I do use every day. The issue here is not really how often you have to use a defragmentation. The issue is how well maintaned do you want to keep your computer.

Mine is setup as Set It and Forget It, it kicks in when the screensaver starts up. I do a manual scan twice a week, and a boot time defrag once a week.

Well...

Defragging is simply put just another maintance chore on your system. It should be for peak proformance run daily. The one built in to xp is make by the same folkes that market diskeeper.

Back
Top Bottom